Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
Gold tip Gladiator 100 grn test results >

Gold tip Gladiator 100 grn test results

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Gold tip Gladiator 100 grn test results

Old 09-27-2002, 05:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Gold tip Gladiator 100 grn test results

Gold Tip Gladiator 100 grain

Accuracy: 3 points
Plywood 3 points
Steel drum 2 points
Orange 5 points
Blades 4 points
Cutting diameter 4 points
Non-mechanical blades 2 points
Total score 23 with a blade sharpness rating of A

The Gold tip Gladiator is sort of a hybrid head. It has two fixed blades and two mechanical blades. It also has a “trocar” style tip and a composite ferule. The mechanical blades are held in place by friction, much like the New Archery products Spitfires. I found that they are slower to open compared to heads that use O rings or rubber bands. I don’t consider it a problem with the Gladiator though, as the head does have the two fixed blades.
The Accuracy is good, but it does fly more like a fixed blade head than a field point. They did not group with my field points, but shot consistently. I am sure with some tinkering you could probably get them to group with field points, provided you have a enough fletching to steer them. In the orange test they got a 5, simply because of the two fixed blades. In the plywood it penetrated most of the way through, but not completely. The two mechanical blades did not fully open, stopping the head short of full penetration. In the steel drum the head fully opened and penetrated one side, bouncing off the far wall.
Overall I like the Gladiator, it is strong, sharp, accurate, and should make one big hole in any animal you hit! The mechanical blades are slow to open, and I believe that to use this head effectively you should be pushing 60 ft/lbs of energy or more.
I was not really sure how to test this head, is it a mechanical with two fixed blades or a fixed blade head with two mechanical blades? Do I shoot it into the Orange or the tire? I decided to test it as a mechanical head, but to give it 2 points for it’s non-mechanical blades. The first time I listed the scores I did not give the Gladiator credit for the two fixed blades, but I really feel it deserves the extra 2 points. This is one of those heads that really mess with my scoring system! That said I think if you want more cutting diameter than most fixed blade heads, but are unsure of mechanicals, this may be the head for you. It won’t be for those who shoot mechanicals for their field point like accuracy, but rather for those wanting a bigger cut, with the security of two fixed blades. Like I said at first, it does require more kinetic energy than some heads, but 60 fl/lbs should be enough for deer size game, and 65 should get the job done on larger animals provided you tune your bow well and put the arrow where it needs to be.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 09-27-2002, 06:29 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Gold tip Gladiator 100 grn test results

Thanks 5shot. I have them on my goldtips. As soon as I bust up all my acc's, I will be switching.
VH