Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Gold Tip Gladiator Broadheads. >

Gold Tip Gladiator Broadheads.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Gold Tip Gladiator Broadheads.

Old 11-19-2005, 03:25 PM

Default Gold Tip Gladiator Broadheads.

I went to my local bow shop today to buy some new arrows and BH's.I am looking at the broadheads and what do I see but Gold Tip has come out with a set of expandable BH's.I have always been leary of mechanical's.Well I talk to the owner and they told me that there suplier uses them and swears by them.I am giving them a shot this coming week.They do have a set of fixed blades as well as a set of expandable's on them.I am excited about using these.
I would love to hear from anyone who has used them and to see how they worked for you.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:01 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Gold Tip Gladiator Broadheads.

Actually they've been out for many years. The reason you haven't heard about them is that they are a mediocre mechanical head (at best) that flies more like a fixed blade than a expandable, so they aren't very popular. They are strong and the blades are sharp, but since they fly like a fixed blade, most just figure they'll shoot the fixed blades. And those thatcan't/don't tune their bowsproperly can't get them to fly because of thesame and end up going to a more streamlined mechanical. They also have a lot more blade surface, so they don't penetrate well and take about 15-20 percent more KE than other mechanicals to open consistantly. There are other much better mechanicals out there.

Now Gold Tip's fixed blade, the Centurion,is another story. It is a excellent head that doesn't get it's fair shake IMHO.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:11 PM

I am going to go out tomorrow and shoot one of them and see how well they fly.My bow is tuned and ready to go.I wonder if they would fly better if I didnt put the fixed blades on them so they will be only mechanical.
Would still like to hear from some more people that have used them.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:22 PM

ORIGINAL: Snood Slapper

The reason you haven't heard about them is that they are a mediocre mechanical head (at best) that flies more like a fixed blade than a expandable, so they aren't very popular.They also have a lot more blade surface, so they don't penetrate well and take about 15-20 percent more KE than other mechanicals to open consistantly. There are other much better mechanicals out there.
Yeah, I don't agree. I used them 2 years ago on a spring turkey hunt, and they not only flew like a dart, but blew right through the turkey at 30 yards. Put that bird down fast. I would have no second thoughts of using this head myself. Maybe check out.....heck with it....I'm saying it...check out 5 shots site, www.broadheadtests.com and see if maybe he doesn't have a report on them.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I never had a problem getting them to fly. Iam nota fan of the "poly" ferrule. Some of them didn't spin true, but in fairness I can say the same thing about a number of heads.

I will tell you this for what it is worth. I shot a very large bodied buck with one. Quartering away, the shot entered around the last rib on the right side and came our the chest of the buck (between the front legs). Yes a complete passthrough even after zipping through so much tissue. The head looked to be in great shape afterwards.

I don't feel I can speak with any "game killing" authority on them being I have only killed one animal with them. I feel like there are better heads out there, but they will work. The best head made can't make up for a bad shot. On the other hand if a guy makes a marginal shot, you want everything you can get going for you.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:07 AM
Typical Buck

Yeah, I don't agree. I used them 2 years ago on a spring turkey hunt, and they not only flew like a dart, but blew right through the turkey at 30 yards. Put that bird down fast. I would have no second thoughts of using this head myself. Maybe check out.....heck with it....I'm saying it...check out 5 shots site, www.broadheadtests.com and see if maybe he doesn't have a report on them.

If you tune your bow, then they should fly like a dart...

They do work, there are just better heads. Try em if you like, all I'm saying is that your money would be better spent somewhere else.

I just checked 5Shot's site and itsayswhat I've already told you - actually almost exactly.