Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

serving wear

Old 02-04-2004, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default serving wear

i have seen this term a lot but do not kno wut it is. wut is serving wear. thanx

-Nick
Old 02-05-2004, 06:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: serving wear

Serving is the braided or monofilament material used on your bowstring, cables, etc... in areas where contact with cams or a release is anticipated. This helps to reduce any wear and tear on the string itself.

"Serving wear" then refers to damage done to the serving through normal ussage. This most often occurs where you clip your release onto the bowstring or where the cam serving comes in contact with the grooves on the cam. It usually manifests itself in the form of having the serving wraps separate from one another or having the serving material "friz".
Old 02-05-2004, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: serving wear

Serving is a thin piece of string that is wrapped around your bowstring. If you look at where your nock point is you will see that this middle portion of the string has been served. It is also used above and below your peep sight in order to keep it in place. As far as serving wear, that is when the serving begins to wear through and come undone. This is usually caused by repeated shooting with a release and is most noticable right below the nock. I hope this clarifies matters for you, it's the best explanation I could come up with.