Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 serving wear/release >

serving wear/release

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

serving wear/release

Old 06-20-2003, 10:32 AM

Default serving wear/release

I hav' nt taken 100 shots with my new Matthews FX yet,the only thing I did' nt change was my release,the old Tru-fire ball bearing type-and my serving looks like it getting chewed up!
Question 1-Can my pro-shop put new serving on without disturbing all my settings?
Question 2-Any suggestions for the new release?
Old 06-20-2003, 10:39 AM

Default RE: serving wear/release

try a rope release like the fletcher fourth finger release ,and they can reserve yur bow string no problem the only thing that has to be moved would be a kisser button if you use one

Old 06-20-2003, 11:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Get your pro shop to install a string loop. I use an older release and did this, main reason I haven' t switched is I haven' t found one that fits and feels as good as my original.
Old 06-21-2003, 12:04 AM

Your pro shop should be able to replace the serving.

I also suggest you try a string loop, it saves on serving wear and may help with accuracy.
Old 06-21-2003, 04:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

It' s not hard to serve it yourself. Go buy the little string serving tool for a couple of dollars and do install a string loop which isn' t hard to do yourself either. You will fell much better haveing done it yourself. Try to learn how to do the basic repairs to a bow if you can. If your serving unraveled in the field or a nock point slipped or a rest came loose your day would be over. Put together a tackle box and carry it in your vehical when you go hunting.
Old 06-21-2003, 12:04 PM
Fork Horn

Bigbuck24,
As far as suggestions for new releases, I just bought a Tru-fire Hurricane, and I am very pleased with it. Very comfortable strap, and very smooth release.
Charlie
Old 06-21-2003, 02:07 PM

I bought my FX in June of 2001 and my serving still does not need changing. Next year I plan to replace both my string and cable next year. I shoot all year long and at least twice a week and as the weather improves and hunting season approaches at lease every other day ort more. Then I use my bow every day to maintain my strength and discipline. I' m replacing because I have had some string stretch.
Old 06-21-2003, 05:03 PM
Fork Horn

Scott Little Goose on the release. The shop shouldn' t have any problems reserving. I' d take the measurements too so you can double check. Depending on the serving you may find the peep is rotated some. If you use tubing then shouldn' t be any problem.
Old 06-21-2003, 05:54 PM

Considering that I have always used the most recent advanced materials for " serving," I have never put much thought into the true strand test of any of the serving materials. I only considered what most seem to consider e.g., non-slip, abrasion resistance, non-flattening, and less history of breaking vs. the history of another brand/type.

Does anyone know what the minimum " strand test" should/can be for serving material for the average draw-weights on compound bows?