Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Feeders???Why??

Old 02-01-2004, 03:38 PM

Default RE: Feeders???Why??

No what I am trying to say is why would someone try to make it that easy for themselves to kill a deer. There is no work in it doing that! You can say how there is until youre blue in the face! I will never except feeders!
Old 02-01-2004, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can see where this is headed, but I'll say this. What is the difference between someone sitting over a feeder and someone sitting in or around a field of cut corn? Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean it's wrong. So there's no reason to come on here and spout off your holier than thou words trying to start an argument. I've hunted in places in Texas where there isn't a tree within miles and I sat over a feeder. The only thing that came to the feeder is does and yearling bucks. I've never had a shot opportunity at a mature shooter buck over a feeder.
Old 02-01-2004, 03:51 PM
Typical Buck

If you will never except feeders then why did you post the question?? One must have an open mind. When hunting over feeders, all skills still must be used such as: wind direction (they aint gonna come in if they smell ya), entry and exit from the site, concealment (deer are more skidish when coming into a site), etc. It is just like hunting your favorite oak tree, food plot, honey suckle thicket, or what ever you hunt. Advantage to the feeder is they are extremely effective to see deer early season, once the acorns start falling they completely turn off them. Another advantage is that long after the acorns have been consumed the deer will still have the yellow corn or protein pellets to help them through. I guess you are one of the die hard lure fisherman that won't ever use the live bait because it makes it easier to catch a fish. well, another advantage is that when taking youngsters you are more apt to see wildlife and make their hunt more enjoyable. keep an open mind dude. if you don't like em, fine. but don't expect everyone to make you see the light!!!!! the world is a lonely dark place with your eyes closed!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-01-2004, 04:21 PM
Fork Horn

Like was said before whats the difference in sitting over a feeder and sitting over an alfalfa field? You say nothing wrong with sitting over a food plot cause its"natural growing vegetation". Get your facts straight before shooting off your mouth. It isn't natural growing if a man planted it. Hell most of the food plots or even the agricultural fields are planted with non-native species. Most of the clovers and even soy beans and alfalfa are not indigenous to the US. So are we not supposed to hunt near them because they sure aren't "natural vegetation".
You have every right not to hunt over feeders but do not condem the folks that do use them.
Old 02-01-2004, 05:31 PM
Typical Buck

I own and hunt a small acreage. I planted a 1 acre food plot to alfalfa which the deer ate down to nothing before the season started. Thats great as far as I'm concerned because I feed deer during the off season. So do some of my neighbors. It's illegal to hunt over bait, but I've also got about 10 mature apple trees in a small orchard that draws deer like magnets. Should I not hunt deer near the apple orchard? Right now there is more that two feet of snow on the ground and the deer have a hard time finding food so yep I put out shelled corn for them. Most of the time they come in after dark to eat, but not always.

The Outdoor channel has some interesting programs dealing with food plots and deer nutrition. Better nutrition gives you a healthier herd, and helps the bucks grow bigger racks. Now I don't have a "deer feeder" like your refering to but I'll do whatever I can to make the herd stronger. And BTW, I took a nice fat doe from the apple orchard this fall. The steaks are incredible.[:-]
Old 02-01-2004, 06:23 PM

you know bow_huntr an nub closed minded guy's like you frost my arse , you post some stupid mundane ?? then you dont like the answers you get. let me tell you both something, where i hunt in michigan baiting is legal now i hunt on state land that is surrounded by private on all 4 sides an evry one of these owners hunts, and yes uses bait piles, but heres the deal mich law says 2 gallons of bait per day per stand ,, wich is plenty an it has to be spread over a 10 ft area. now in order for me to even see a deer i have to bait as the deer move thru the state land from the private areas, now the only thing is these guy's all have dumptruck loads of bait on the ground all season plus food plots , now you tell me how are me and the other guy's supposed to even see a deer unless we bait,, my whole point is that sometimes in situations like these you have no choice but to bait now bow you may not like baiting but do those of us here that do bait a big favor keep your mouth shut about things you know nothing about or understand well my 2cents worth deadshot,,, oh an by the way i have never seen a mature buck over any of my bait piles either
Old 02-01-2004, 07:21 PM

See that is the thing. I never said any slamming remarks to those of you that do bait, what I said was my own personal viewpoint. And Deadshot, in that case it is your problem not anyone elses. You should have reported to local conservation agents that these land owners/hunters are putting out too much bait, there can be something done about that, or was that just made up? Is a deer feeder the same as a food plot when the acre of alfalfa is covered with snow, or did you ever possibly think that a deer feeder cant be wiped out by nature as could a food plot! I have nothing else to argue about with you 'baiters!
Old 02-01-2004, 07:30 PM

just for the record it was reported to the dnr but seems they arent willing to go onto private land to check and second even a alfalfa plot or anything else a deer will dig for the food but hey i guess thats impossible to right,
Old 02-01-2004, 08:38 PM

Oh! Great idea! why make them dig for it naturally when you could shower them with corn up to their backstraps! Yes! You DEADSHOT have answered and solved every thing from hunting cons to plain working for your deer! How "close minded" of you! Now get off your "all knowing" high horse bullsh!t!
Old 02-01-2004, 08:50 PM
nub

you know bow_huntr an nub closed minded guy's like you frost my arse
Well, why you have your head up there, why don't you breath heavy and defrost?[]

Bash on Master Baiters. I stand by my previous statement.
Because they are selfish and could care less about the spread of diseases like CWD and TB.
Enough said.

Quick Reply: Feeders???Why??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.