HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Feeders???Why??
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2004, 05:31 PM
rcd567
Typical Buck

Default RE: Feeders???Why??

I own and hunt a small acreage. I planted a 1 acre food plot to alfalfa which the deer ate down to nothing before the season started. Thats great as far as I'm concerned because I feed deer during the off season. So do some of my neighbors. It's illegal to hunt over bait, but I've also got about 10 mature apple trees in a small orchard that draws deer like magnets. Should I not hunt deer near the apple orchard? Right now there is more that two feet of snow on the ground and the deer have a hard time finding food so yep I put out shelled corn for them. Most of the time they come in after dark to eat, but not always.

The Outdoor channel has some interesting programs dealing with food plots and deer nutrition. Better nutrition gives you a healthier herd, and helps the bucks grow bigger racks. Now I don't have a "deer feeder" like your refering to but I'll do whatever I can to make the herd stronger. And BTW, I took a nice fat doe from the apple orchard this fall. The steaks are incredible.[:-]