Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Access Illinois??? >

Access Illinois???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Access Illinois???

Old 01-28-2004, 03:14 PM

Default Access Illinois???

Just wondering if anyone on here has used this program to gain access to private landowners (farms) for bowhunting whitetails? Sounds like a good idea,they have a ton of land listed,just trying to avoid these high priced outfitters. Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-28-2004, 03:38 PM

Default RE: Access Illinois???

Z71,

when I lived in Illinois I sent off my 10 dollar check off to DNR and never got a response. So I called them up and told them that I signed up for it, I'd sure like a farmer to call me. Never happend. Maybe it works for some, but for me, it was a pitiful response and waste of money.

beej
Old 01-28-2004, 04:11 PM

Got about 4-5 emails within the first week. Cost $25 bucks.
Old 01-30-2004, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator

just trying to avoid these high priced outfitters. Any input will be greatly appreciated.
HaHaHa Z71, and I was wanting to talk to you about working a deal. I will give you a call sometime this evening.(about 6ish)
Old 01-31-2004, 04:26 PM
Typical Buck

Access Illinois is a good program but you have to understand how it works.

AI accepts applications from hunters seeking a place to hunt and then forwards copies of the applications to about five cooperating landowners in the county in which you selected. It is up to the landowners to establish their prices and respond to the applicant. Landowners are not gonna open the farm for free (during prime time) anymore.

The days of free hunts for non-residents are over in just about every state. So many of the landowners I work with are elderly and on a fixed income. The lease fees and daily trespass fees are extremely important.

Land leases in the counties you seek vary greatly, but run up to $40/acre. It is expensive if you want to hunt truly good land.

Good luck!
Old 01-31-2004, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

llbux where is the program info i cannot find it on the dnr site
Old 02-01-2004, 08:01 AM

I wasn't wanting to hunt someone's farm for free!!! Heck I'll pay $25 a acre to hunt for 1 week on somebody's farm. It's gotta be cheaper than paying these high priced outfitters,besides I don't like someone telling me what tree to get in,and it costing me $3,000.
Old 02-01-2004, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bowhunting North America Videos P.O.Box 221, Rock Falls, Il. 61071 1-563-243-7877 has a video/map package covering 3 states in one-Ill., Iowa & Ws. on Public Bowhunting access with lots of Bowhunting information. delivered price is $18.45 & is revised each year...
Old 02-01-2004, 11:37 AM
Typical Buck

Bob d-

Access Illinois Outdoors is not part of the IDNR. I believe it is made possible through a state/federal grant.

PM me if you seek more info. You might try looking it up on the Internet. It is located in Pittsfield, IL.

Z71-
Your most recent message is quite different than what you mentioned in recent conversations/messages with me. I offered land to you at $20/acre for the entire deer season or a 5 day hunt at $1250-1500(I may have even dropped to $1000,my approximate cost per hunter, I can't recall) with lodging. Both of these were way too high for you. You told me you wanted to hunt your group of five guys for $1500 for the entire group. I took pity on you and even went so far as to tell you where you could hunt for $500 each.

That is a far cry from the $25/acre you now say you are willing to pay for a lease. You come down pretty hard on outfitters and lump us all together in the same category of guys who take your money, stick you in a tree, and then forget about you. Illinois outfitters who charge $3000 for a free range hunt are so few I can probably count them on one hand.

Your portrayal of Illinois outfitters is unfair and inaccurate. LLBUX is a small hunting business, IMB is much larger. I don't know IMB from Adam, but they gained my respect when DEERDUST indicated earlier in this thread that he would consider a discounted hunt for you. Each of us took pity upon you and were prepared to discount a hunt or lease. I think that is more typical, or you'll find more folks like us, than you will find $3000 outfitters who stick you in a tree.

I'm not gonna get into a spitting match over this. I felt the need to clear up the misconception of Illinois outfitters and prices which you posted. There are some bad eggs in any line of business. Please don't lump us all together.

We don't deserve it.

Put it this way, if I had a beef with one GA hunter who I felt was incompetent because he did things differently than I do them, would it be right for me to embelish a story and state on this forum all GA hunters are poor hunters?

Of course that answer is no.

Just tryin' to help. Good luck all!

LLBUX
Old 02-02-2004, 12:55 PM

You made it sound like in your previous reply if I use this Access Illinois program,I couldn't hunt someone's farm for free during prime dates. Maybe I should use you then (the middle man) so you can pocket some of this $40 acre cash. This is the program to save some cash on leasing a private farm for 1 week. Sorry if I affended you, putting you in the class of over-priced outfitters.