Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

first timer

Old 01-27-2004, 02:55 PM

Default first timer

i absoluetly love my 270. but our season for rifles is just 2 weeks. but our bow is 4. so i was maybe going to get started out. whats my best bet?
Old 01-27-2004, 03:01 PM

Default RE: first timer

Ask a few bowhunters where a good bow shot is and get in there and spend some money!!

Bowhunting is a great experience, it takes patience, practice, and persistence.

Shoot every bow you can get your hands on in the pro shop and pick the one that feels best to you.
Old 01-27-2004, 03:14 PM
Fork Horn

Shoot a lot of different bows and see what fits you. The practice, practice, practice!

I shoot a Mathews myself but everyone is different.
Old 01-27-2004, 05:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ask a few bowhunters where a good bow shot is and get in there and spend some money!!

Bowhunting is a great experience, it takes patience, practice, and persistence.

Shoot a lot of different bows and see what fits you. The practice, practice, practice!

I shoot a Mathews myself but everyone is different.
Well said [:-]
Old 01-27-2004, 06:45 PM

Once you get your bow then you won't pick up a gun again. Happened to me.
Old 01-27-2004, 08:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

my advice would be to go to a reputable archery shop, preferably one with a shooting range. tell them your intentions and have them set you up with the proper equipment.
I may be going out on a limb here but for the beginner I would suggest going with a release aid. They are more consistant for the novice than using fingers and something you are probably more use to as a gun hunter. I prefer a caliper release like Scotts or Cobra.
Old 01-27-2004, 08:42 PM
TJD
Fork Horn

Advice that is right on the mark! I shoot a Mathews SQ2. Like it a lot! But everyone is different. I have a good friend with a couple of P&Y bucks under his belt who traded up to a brand new Mathews a couple years ago. He used to shoot some old club as I called it that was at least 15 years old. Well, this past year, he sold the Mathews and went back to the old bow. Just couldn't get the right feel for him.

In your case, you may love a bow that others hate, and shoot great with it. Definitely go to a good archery shop and ask questions and try a few out. You may do great with a $250 Darton or a $325 PSE, and not like a $700 Mathews Outback (for reasons other than price!). If so, that's great. Not only are you saving some money but you have a bow that fits you. Having said that, if the bow you like is one that is $600 or $700, if you can afford it, buy it. In any case, take some time to try out a few and talk to as many folks as you can about what they like, why, and try them out if possible.

And then practice as much as you can!

Once you start bowhunting, you'll be amazed how much you will love it!

Best of Luck!!