Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How efective is bow on big game hunting? >

How efective is bow on big game hunting?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How efective is bow on big game hunting?

Old 01-23-2004, 06:40 AM
Fork Horn

Default How efective is bow on big game hunting?

I mean that in here you can only hunt smal game like deer with a bow not big game like moose or bear. They say that bow doesn't kill as efective as rifle and that animal suffers longer.

How far you shoot f ex. moose with a bow? and how far the animal goes after shooting before it falls?
Old 01-23-2004, 07:01 AM

Default RE: How efective is bow on big game hunting?

John Bear, I have never taken a Moose with my bow but have taken Bear,Deer, Caribou and Elk with a bow.
Like all other weapons how far an animal travels or suffers after the shot depends on the shot placement, where on the body you hit the animal.
With modern broadheads and heavy bows a hit in the vitals (heart or lungs) will bring down most big game animals within or less than 100 yeards. More often its 50 yards but 100 is not uncommon.
I think a lot of it depends on the equipment you can use and of course the skill of the hunter and his or her marksmenship.
Have you ever watched any of the videos where the big game animals you ask about are taken with a bow?
Old 01-23-2004, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Looking back on all my kills my arrows have always resulted in the animals dying faster, with less meat damage and shorter blood trails than rifle kills. An arrow through the lungs will drop any game animal in NA and do so withing 10 seconds IMO.
Old 01-23-2004, 09:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

Not sure where you are getting your info but you need a new source. Archery equipment can and does bring down the biggest and meanest animals this planet has to offer very effectively. Such as cape buffalo, brown bears, elephants. You do not need the latest and greatest compound to do it either. Many are taken each year with good old fashoned long bows and recurves.

No mater the size of the animal, if you place a broadhead tipped arrow through both lungs and / or the heart, the animal will have about ten to fifteen seconds to live. Many animals run less distance after being hit with an arrow than they do with a bullet while usually leaving a beter blood trail to folllow.

How far you shoot depends on the individual and the circumstances sourounding the shot. There are many factors that can and do influence this. Such as how much you practice, at what diatances you practice regularly, how alert the animal is, what the animal is, how much energy your arrow is producing, etc...etc...
Old 01-23-2004, 09:21 AM

[8D] I just watched a video on black bear hunting that was sent to me by a fellow forum visitor. These 2 hunters were hunting with bows. One had a custom made recurve. The other hunter, the narrator hunted with a compound. All toll I think they took 4 bear and not one of them any farther than 50-100 yds. BOWS WILL DEFINATELY DO THE JOB ON BLACK BEAR!
Old 01-23-2004, 09:35 AM

For Examples of animals that can be killed with a bow do a net search for photos of the trophy room at the Fred Bear Museum. Elephants, Lions and Bears, Oh My!
Old 01-23-2004, 10:32 AM
Fork Horn

check these out:
http://www.huntingfootage.com/showph...cat=511&page=1

http://www.huntingfootage.com/showph...cat=511&page=1
Old 01-23-2004, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

46 years of Bowhunting biggame. bigger game taken besides Whitetail, mule deer & exotics
Black Bear-never had one go over 30 yards-all Pope & young
Elk-100 yards, Caribou Dropped in tracks, several wild hogs-toughest of anything in my book. I use 60# compound now & Rocky Mountain Broadheads since they came on the market. Your shot placement STILL is the most important factor (my opinion). don't take crazy shots. I do know 3 people who have taken Record class Moose & 2 that took Grizzlies.
It WILL do the job.

Old 01-23-2004, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Oh, forgot. I am headed the end of March to Bowhunt Buffalo. Is that getting big enough??
Old 01-23-2004, 12:45 PM
Fork Horn

I know that it could be done. I mean that those #ยค%&&"# who set the rules say that.

I mean to ask about your experience in big game bow hunting. This spring they are changing the rules and they may allow to hunt elk with bow but not moose or bear. I liked to know some good argument about future discussions.

Quick Reply: How efective is bow on big game hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.