Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How efective is bow on big game hunting? >

How efective is bow on big game hunting?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How efective is bow on big game hunting?

Old 01-23-2004, 01:04 PM

Default RE: How efective is bow on big game hunting?

A picture, a moving one at that, is worth a 1000 words. If possible, attempt to show them a video or send it to them.
One of your greatest resources may be the bow companies themselves.
Start by creating a list of people in your government who will determine what will happen and provide that list to the bow manufactures. Advise the manufactures of the who what and wheres of any meetings.
You may help influence them with information like the potential number of hunter, the make up of the game animals in your country and what a good market would open up to them with an entirely new area of sport. They love selling more equipment and have all the factual info you need to sway the officals.
I'd imagine you could do all of this in a couple of hours on the internet. You may open some doors for your self along the way. Do not stop at bow makers, contact those that sell camo, calls, scents, stands and make videos.
Good luck.
Old 01-23-2004, 01:13 PM

well john this was my second bowhunting season. I went after elk and arrowed one my second evening out. The young bull maybe went 40 yards from where he was hit. The broad head completely destroyed the right atrium so whatever blood that was returning to the heart was lost. As a result that elk died just as fast if not faster than it would have with a bullet. Ya shot placement is the main thing if u get heart or double lungs they animal will be down before you know it.
Old 01-23-2004, 01:48 PM

They say that bow doesn't kill as efective as rifle and that animal suffers longer.
Who is "They"??
Old 01-23-2004, 02:04 PM
Fork Horn

"They" means those who can't exept that with a bow people has been hunting for ages. And at the moment unfortunately those who desides laws in here.
Old 01-23-2004, 02:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

John, I am with the rest here and having taken bear, elk and moose with archery equipment it is both acceptable and effective! All but one arrowed animal expired in short time and yardage of the shot(certainly no further than many of my rifle shots have taken). The one animal(which was a wt buck) mustered a good run but it was aided by inability to sit and wait after the shot I bumped him twice, while the shot wasn't perfect I have absolute confidence had I hung tight for a few extra minutes he would have expired where he first bedded down less the 100 yards from the shot sight. One must remember they kill by way of 2 different methods, a bullet uses shock to take the animal down which they then die from the wound, while a bow is by the wound itself as very little shock is released in the animal. Two different method but the same result. Some even argue a bow n' arrow causes less suffering as the animal just lays down and expires with no real pain or feelings of brick the wall when a bullet is forced into the body cavity causing extreme shock and energy release in it's target.

The distance an animal can be taken with either bow or rifle is in the hands of the user and his equipment. While a CF maybe able to shoot over a mile it certainly isn't considered acceptable for harvesting game at that range. I guess in short both are capable of harvesting game at much further distances than the shooter behind them thus making this portion of your question subjective and impossible to accurately answer. It also should have no bearing on what is deemed an acceptable tool for hunting purposes.

"They" need some education on archery equipment. I am sure they know abroginals had little troubles filling the meat pole with a stick/string and shaped rock. As with the change in technology and time advancement to both gun and archery equipment has made things possible that wouldn't be considered a reality years back. It seem unacceptable to me those would embrace one technology (such as the new Cf's of todays hunting world) but yet shun archery equipment which has made similar strides and all fairness has been a proven way to harvest animals for many more years than a bullet. I am sure it may come from the anti hunting and animal groups trying there best to play God and protect the ones who can't speak back. Officials throw the whiners a bone in hopes they will be appeased for a small period of time and never go back at look at the facts. Or maybe it is just b/c we have more bowhunters and therefore our voice is louder forcing them to re-examine the data.

In any regards it is bull as I have seen more poor shot animals which led to suffering by a rifle than a bow...so I vote "THEY" don't know what "THEY" are talking about!
Old 01-23-2004, 07:47 PM
Fork Horn

I know that it could be done. I mean that those #ยค%&&"# who set the rules say that.
What rules? Who is those #x%&&"#?
Old 01-23-2004, 10:42 PM

A bow will easily kill any animal. Personally I think a bow will kill any animal just as fast as a gun shot to the vitals. Actually even faster. Even a youth weight bow such as 45 pound draw weight will easily pass through deer and even black bear. An arrow is so deadly that any animal shot through both lungs or the heart will collapse most of the time under 10 second. 6 seconds is more realistic. And they will usually be dead within 30 seconds.

A compound is the most powerful for it's draw weight but traditional bows are just as deadly and a 45 pound draw weight long bow even though it shoots a little slower will still kill deer sized game just as quickly.

If they would prefer to set minimum draw weights for the larger game, I suggest something around:
50 pound for compounds
55 pound for recurves
60 pound for longbows.

These figures show bow weights which should easily put down any large game.
For smaller game like deer, 35 pound will do the job but maybe 40 pound should be the minimum for compounds.

Show them some american hunting videos of moose and bear and elk being taken with bow and arrow.
Old 01-24-2004, 05:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Guys, it looks like John Bear is from Finland. That would imo answer a lot of your questions as to "who is they" and their outlook on hunting.
Old 01-24-2004, 07:35 AM

i think everybody would agree with me when i say if you watch fred bear in the old day with his wood recure take elephant and everything else the footage speak for it self... it not how effecvtive the bow is its how effective the archer is
Old 01-24-2004, 08:28 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: mdbohuntr

Guys, it looks like John Bear is from Finland. That would imo answer a lot of your questions as to "who is they" and their outlook on hunting.
He needs to give us more info...........

Quick Reply: How efective is bow on big game hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.