Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 OK, I have yet another trail cam question >

OK, I have yet another trail cam question

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

OK, I have yet another trail cam question

Old 01-18-2004, 03:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default OK, I have yet another trail cam question

Bair with me here, I know there seems to be alot of questions about these things floating around this board, but I have a couple more. What time of the year do you use them for starters. I have 2 of them out now becouse I just got them for Christmas. I thought that I would take them out of the woods in a week or two, since the bucks will be losing their antlers soon, if not allready. Then I thought that I would put them back out around the time the fawns are born,and leave them out there all summer long. Right now I go out there on the weekends to check the film, becouse I cant get out there during the week. One of the things that concerns me is, I know alot of you try to stay out of your hunting area the last couple of months before the season starts, so , will I be messing my hunting spot up by leaving them out there and going out to check on them every weekend? One more qustion and then I will leave everyone alone, Where do you put your cameras? Over scrapes, rubs, trails..... Now keep in mind, that I live in Mn., So baiting is not legal. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-18-2004, 04:08 PM

Default RE: OK, I have yet another trail cam question

I put mine over heavliy used trails. It's easy to find them in the snow. Usually I'll check them once a week, most often the film is full. I usually use the cameras until May, when I go back home from school, and then I put them out a few weeks before the season opens.
Old 01-18-2004, 06:56 PM

At this time of year food sources are scarce. I think I would try to find well defined trails near any food that left. Probably browse such as honeysuckle, briars, and such.
Good luck
Old 01-18-2004, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bigdaddy12t..........I live in central MN. I try to put mine on intersections of heavily used trails. (2' to 2 1/2' off the ground 8' to 12' from the intersection) Mineral licks, food plots are good. But really, any trail is what I like to check out. Trails in strange places or trails that aren't beated down can have interesting results. A couple of my best new stands are in places we never thought would be any good, the camera told me otherwise!

Good LUck!
Old 01-19-2004, 10:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for the info guys, but I still dont have an answer for my questions about leaving them up all summer and going back to check on them every week, wont I be spending too much time in there just before the season? The last thing I want to do is chase all of the deer out of there.
Old 01-19-2004, 11:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

but I still dont have an answer for my questions about leaving them up all summer and going back to check on them every week, wont I be spending too much time in there just before the season?
No, not necessarily. Visiting an area once a week, providing you take precautions, is not excessive and should not adversely affect the area for hunting. However, I would suggest removing them a couple weeks before the season starts as there is really no need to take any extra chance that you may disturb the area.