Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

wierd

Old 01-03-2004, 05:56 PM

Default wierd

well it was so warm in pa today for jan(like lower 60s), i went hunting in the morning and only saw a fox and heard some turkeys. well i head back home and decide to get the dirt bike out and go for a ride on a nice church property near my house. well as i am going through the woods i see about 12-15 deer and one decent buck. i then find the largest rub i have ever seen. this thing was on a tree about 7 inch diameter and u could see where he was even hitting another sapling right next to that tree. well i just kept on going and i got to a gate and right in the road before the gate was a nice buck head. only the head and antlers, a real nice 8 point. i couldn't really figure out why it was there but it was rotting pretty bad. i don't know who would just leave a nice head there like that so i go the hack saw out and took the horns. i mean it didn't look like anyone else was looking it for or even wanted it so i have a nice set of horns now. my question is who would do this and why? who knows...just though i would tell u guys
Old 01-03-2004, 06:10 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: wierd

Probably some one poached the deer and was scared off by something and just abandoned the head.
Old 01-03-2004, 06:33 PM

A dog could have dragged it out of the woods.
Old 01-03-2004, 06:47 PM

Well, I would say that it was strange. Maybe somebody was trying to do a "redneck" version of a Euro mount!!!!! God only knows with some of our fellow Pennsylvanians

I would say that you found the remains of a poached deer though! I would keep an eye out in that area and see if you see anything "odd" going on and report it to the PGC!

The weather was crazy here today. I went out small game hunting but I didn't get anything. A couple days ago my bestfriend got two nice pheasents right out the road from my house, and the area isn't stocked! We were pretty shocked. We were walking through a golden rod field tryin to get to the brush on the otherside when they flushed and we about crapped our pants!!! I talked to all the landowners around here and none of them put out pheasents and the PGC doesn't stock out here. This is all private property!

P.S. I also found a big rub today. It wasn't a huge tree, probablly 3" around, but, it was TALL!!!!!!!!!! I am about 6' 1" tall and this rub came up almost to my shoulders!!!!!!!

Got any pics of that rack?????????