Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is my new set up sufficient for Elk? >

Is my new set up sufficient for Elk?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is my new set up sufficient for Elk?

Old 12-29-2003, 10:50 AM

Default RE: Is my new set up sufficient for Elk?

Ditto on Zelazny's post. A 60 lb. bow with a rating over 300 ibo is plenty for elk (even at 28"). Get your total arrow weight to at least 425 grains and you will be fine. Another suggestion is that a good cut to the tip head like the Magnus Stinger will most likely gain you some penetration over your Muzzy's (Muzzy's aren't a bad choice, though).
Old 12-29-2003, 11:21 AM

How can I get upto 425 grain? The Beman ICS Hunter suggest the model 400 (8.4 gr./inch). My arrow shaft is 29". that makes 243.6 grains. I think I can go only upto a 125 head. This leaves me a little shy.

Please pardon my ignorance, since I have only hunted whitetail and my 340 grain setup is really good for mefor that size game.

Thank you again for your help.
Old 12-29-2003, 12:29 PM

Carbon Impact I think are the ones that make the weight tubes. get the yellow ones - 3 grains per inch. If your arrows are 30" you add 90 grinas with NO impact on spine. Your setup will shoot slower, but insignificant out to 20-25 yards anyway and once you reset your pins it won't be an issue.

As for broadheads ... use a sharp one, place it in the lungs and you'll kill your elk, and it don't matter if its fixed or one piece Zwickey design or mechnical.

IF you don't put your arrow into the lungs .... then you'll have problems on every count from KE to arrow weight to broadhead type.

Like these ...

http://www.carbonexpressarrows.com/a...ht_tubes.shtml

try EBAY and shop around. I bought about 45 boxes (dozen per box) at a clearance sale at Bass Pro last fall for $5 a box. Archery shops sell them for $1 a tube. Get yellow - 3 grains per inch .. I think the clear ones are only 1 grain per inch ....
Old 12-29-2003, 05:12 PM
Dominant Buck

Your arrows weigh more than you're giving them credit for. You forgot the weight of fletchings, inserts, etc etc. Go to the above site and calculate for yourself. It depends on length of fletching, type(feathers or vanes) etc. If you shoot your bow through a crony you can also get your exact KE.

http://home.att.net/~sajackson/archery.html
Old 12-29-2003, 05:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Like Zelazny has said your set up is just fine for elk. Do you honestly think that Fred Bear, 30 or 40 years ago, was getting the kind of speed, energy, and momentum that any of us are getting now? No where close. Or all of the traditional guys today? again no where close. Even with their 600 and 700 grain arrows.

The only thing I would change would be the head. I would use a two blade cut to the tip head like a stinger, or steel force for better penetration. No real need to jump to 125 grains if the 100's are working well for you.

By the time you add up all the stuff on your arrow you should be right at 400 grains with a 100 grain head and 425 grains with a 125 grain head. If the arrows shoot good for you then leave them alone and go elk hunting.

Leave the draw weight at 60 pounds also. Probably the second worst thing you could do besides not having your bow tuned would be to go into the elk woods with a bow that has a way too much draw weight.
Old 12-29-2003, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

NYSHunter, your arrow with a supernock, an aluminum insert, and 4" or 5" feathers should weigh in at around 421 grains if you use a 125 grain broadhead. Plastic vanes will add quite a bit. They vary depending on the brand, but you will gain at least 10 grains over feathers.

You have gotten some good advise already, but I would suggest shooting some arrows through a chronograph.

I bet you are making more KE than you are giving yourself credit for.

I would opt for the 125 grain heads myself, if for no other reason, to loosen up the spine of your arrows.

Se if you can get a couple more pounds out of your bow, and make sure you can comfortably handle it.

Most important.....We want pictures! Of your elk, taken with your LX.
Old 12-29-2003, 05:34 PM

You don't need to go spend 100-150 bucks on a set of limbs! Your bow is plenty good enough. Your arrows should weigh in at 402 gr. That is too light, A 125 head would put you at 427 gr and 12.1% foc. That would work. I personally would not go under 450 gr. You already use muzzys, Dont change!!

My arrows for elk are 6075 term hunters, 125 3 blade muzzys, with feathers.
487 gr.
11.6% foc
65 lbs @ 28 draw

Elk are TOUGH and big boned. You need a fairly heavy arrow. IMO muzzys are the best and will go through bone .......good luck
Old 12-29-2003, 06:33 PM

I really appreciate the advise. Its been very helpful. I am going to get this weight up on my arrows. I use plastic vanes now and like them. I will work with my local vendor and get some arrows with 125 grain Muzzey's. Once the weight is around 425 to 450 I will chronograph the results.

Again, thanks for the help.
Old 12-29-2003, 08:58 PM

NYSHunter - Another bit of advice ? Go with big vanes or like I did, use big 5 1/2" feathers. I stuck with 3 RW helical fletch, 5.5" feathers and used all 3 white. I marked the cock fletch with a sharpie or used the nocks with clicks on 'em. You'll be a bit slower in arrow speed, but you'll have more stable flight, forgiveness and that'll lead to a bit mroe accuracy IMO.

Another thing if you haven't done it - bare shaft tune your arrows to get the BEST flying arrow, then add feathers and watch some pretty arrow flight !

good luck
Old 12-29-2003, 09:10 PM

Maybe I am not that great of a hunter but I have never put that much thought into it. I have shot through a crono. machine just to see how fast I was shooting compared to my old bow, and the differance between aluminum and carbon, but didnt really care. I dont even know what weight my arrows are or which arrow I have for that matter. But I do know that they are 30 inches long and I use 125 grn muzzys. Anyhow my point is I had no doubts in my equipment and they did just fine on my elk this year. And look at it this way yeah Fred Bear did alright with his setup but what about the Indians way back when after the buffalo. Dam I dont think that they had razor sharp 125 grain muzzys. shooting 295 fps. lol

Youll do just fine just relax take that good sweet shot and you will be eating elk backstrap before you know it.

Quick Reply: Is my new set up sufficient for Elk?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.