Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is my new set up sufficient for Elk? >

Is my new set up sufficient for Elk?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is my new set up sufficient for Elk?

Old 12-29-2003, 11:19 PM

Default RE: Is my new set up sufficient for Elk?

pinkys79 - How do you know your bow is tuned then ? I'm assuming you can strip the fletching off and shoot bare shafts and they fly good, right ?
Old 12-30-2003, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would have to say that you setup is fine. I can't remember the last time I shot an animal through both lungs only to have him turn, look at me and say " Do you really think I'm gonna die from that, Hell you're 25 grains shy!"
Old 12-30-2003, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

So now you guys are comparing an average archer that's never been elk hunting to Fred Bear Like I said in my earlier post "I have no doubt that setup will kill and elk" if you hit it in the right spot. But comparing Fred Bear's ability to hit vitals, one of the best archers to ever live, a man who stalked grizzly bear and lion with nerves of steel, to your average Joe that's never been elk hunting and quite possibly may get rattled and make a less than perfect shot, is a bit of a stretch isn't it boys?
Old 12-30-2003, 06:13 AM

I've seen more then one elk with a pass through from a 60 lb draw bow. A two blade cut-to-tip broadhead is a good suggestion to insure good penetration. Hit one in the kill zone, which is quite large, and it's dead. Going to 70 lbs in going to be a negative, unless you can easily draw it back. A 70 lb bow, will probably also require different arrows. If the ones you have are spined perfectly for your setup, they will not be for a heavier draw and you definitely do not want to drop broadhead weight.
Old 12-30-2003, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have recently switched to the cut on impact style broadhead and found that the cut on impact gives great penetration. Alot of energy is given up punching through the skin. If you are not used to elk ,and will probably be very pumped when that bull steps out, the cut on impact will give you the best penetration if you get a marginal shot with a lighter arrow. If you are hunting Idaho you have to be at least 400 grains. Remember the hardest part about elk hunting is learning when to get the bow back. If you are hunting the rut they will be in your lap before you know it and it might be too late..........