HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Is my new set up sufficient for Elk? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/47590-my-new-set-up-sufficient-elk.html)

NYSHunter 12-29-2003 07:55 AM

Is my new set up sufficient for Elk?

I have the opportunity to bow hunt for Elk this up coming year. Due to the high cost I am hoping that my current set up will work. Please advise.

Mathews LX 60lb with a draw of 28 inches
NAP Quik Tune 1000
Cobra Mini Venom Sight
Beman ICS 400 Carbon Hunter Arrows Shafts
Muzzy 3-Blade Broadheads 100 grain
Alpine Archery Soft Loc Quiver

davidmil 12-29-2003 08:06 AM

RE: Is my new set up sufficient for Elk?

To each his own. You're going to get responses that you can kill anything with that... it's all arrow placement blah blah blah blah blah. You're also going to get them saying no way in hell. You didn't tell us what speed you're getting or your arrow weights. So guessing at some components and bow speed I come up with a K.E. of somewhere between 52-57 foot pounds. In my mind you would be well served to beef that up somehow. Either increase your bow weight, arrow weight combination to get over 60. But hey, that's my free advice and cost you nothing. Just saying that since it's a once in a lifetime thing and not something you get to try very often.... I'd go prepared to allow for that "Less than perfect arrow placement". It's your money.... you decide.

silentassassin 12-29-2003 08:10 AM

I would have to agree with David. I have no doubt that your current setup will kill and elk. However, I think shooting such a low KE setup will greatly reduce the chances of a passthrough and also limit the amount of penetration you will get in the case of a less than perfect shot.

Zelazny 12-29-2003 08:12 AM

If its a compound and over 45-50 pounds and your arrows fly good and you put them where they're suppose to go, you're fine.

I hunted last year with a setup that got a whopping 27 foot pounds and I'd have killed an elk with it had I gotten a good shot.

NYSHunter 12-29-2003 08:12 AM

Can you recommend a set up for me. I am willing to try several new setups and prepare for this hunt the right way. Thanks for your advice.

NYSHunter 12-29-2003 08:57 AM

I believe that my total grain weight is around 350. I have never tested the speed as of yet. I hunt whitetails here in NY and I knew this setup was more than enough for that, but Elk is another story.

I use Beman ICS 400 Carbon Hunter Arrows Shafts and Muzzy 3-Blade Broadheads @ 100 grain. If you think I need to add weight or tweek this setup please advise.

justhrowit 12-29-2003 09:10 AM

If I were you!!!!! Agree with the above posts. Your going to get a bunch of different responces. I'd increase the draw weight, and get more speed. Also, I'd go with a 125 grain broadhead to get a little more hitting power. Thats just me!!

Also, make sure your in shape!!!!! You'd hate to blow a shot because your too damn out of breath to draw back. Good luck.

Jay

NYSHunter 12-29-2003 09:15 AM

Thanks for the advise. I will get some 125's to test with. One question, If the Mathews LX is rated at 60lbs, how much do you think I can crank it up to? Is 63 or 64 realistic?

silentassassin 12-29-2003 10:01 AM

The LX is a good bow. I would recommend that you stay with the bow you have. Just order some 70 lb limbs and you can start lighter and work your way up to 70lbs. In the process you might try the 125 gr. heads but since you should still be ok on spine with your current arrows (at least by the charts) the 125s may or may not cause you to be underspined. If they do cause you to be underspined I would ditch the 125s and stay with the 100s and stick with the arrows that you are shooting.

Zelazny 12-29-2003 10:12 AM

Let me see, how to say this ?

YOUR SETUP IS FINE FOR ELK !!!

How's that ? I've killed a couple of bulls and be in on a few kills - THE number one most important factor in elk hunting is hitting the elk in the lungs - both lungs. If I do this with a 52# longbow and 525 grain arrows or you do it with a 60 pound compound and 350 grain arrows the results will be the same - dead elk. I'll promise that.

Now, where more draw weight, heavier arrows etc etc comes into play is IF the shot isn't a well placed one. If I were in your shoes ? I'd put weight tubes in those carbons, bump the total arrow weight up to 450 grains or so, pratice, practice, shoot 3D and go elk hunting this fall.