Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Crimson Talon

Old 12-30-2003, 10:27 PM

Default RE: Crimson Talon

Team, Get the proper spined arrow, get your bow AND arrows properly tuned by somebody who knows what they are doing (hard to find), and you won't have to buy junk to get good arrow flight. You can do it with fixed blades. I promise.

Expandables are only able to survive on the market because of the tons of people who are unknowingly shooting an untuned bow. Guys at the archery shop will tell you if you shoot over 260 fps you canot get fixed blades to fly straight. Let me translate that for you - When the bow shoots that fast those guys are unable to tune it properly, it gets finicky at that speed, and most pro shop guys are not good enough to do it right or don't want to take the time. Not to mention the fact they make more profit on the latest expandable on their shelf!!
On the Crimsons - a friend of mine bought these and threw them away after the first broke blade in styrofoam. Glorified junk.
Old 01-06-2004, 05:35 PM

thats why i stick to one piece broadheads.
Old 01-06-2004, 05:55 PM

I was shooting 4 blade, 125 grain Muzzy's out of a BowTech MightyMite set at 30" draw length and 65# draw weight. Funny thing is that they grouped exactly with my field points!

Like others have said, have your bow set-up properly and 99% of the fixed blade broadheads will fly just like your field points.

My set-up which I mentioned above isn't exactly what you would consider the best set-up for a fixed blade broadhead, let alone a fixed blade, 4 blade broadhead, but, it was tuned properly so it worked perfectly fine.
Old 01-06-2004, 09:02 PM

Im with captain backstrap and buck magnet on this, if your bow is properly tuned and your arrows and broadheads are straight you will group your blades with your feild points. Crimson Talons, like it was said before, glorified junk.
Old 01-06-2004, 09:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Captain.To a point a fixed broadhead will fly like your field points BUT in no way will a fixed blade broadhead be as FORGIVING to shooter errors and weather condition as a GOOD mechanical.

I do shoot fixed brodheads as of now (GKF Deaheads) and they do hit exactly with my field point if I make perfect shots and if the weather is perfect.BUT if there is the slightest bobble on my part,they will exagerate a mistake more.I am a very consistant shooter and shoot 80 yards for targets and 50 yards with broadheads on a regular basis and I also do lots of awkward shots to test my equipment and me and I will tell you this,I prefer a Rocket Steelhead over a fixed and I will be going back to them next season because of the forgiveness.I also like the defistation on game.

As to the Talons,I was very interested in them untill I learned of the junk steel hardness and the durability factor as a result.I believe they do have a good basic philosophy but really need some refinement.I really think the problem Kyle had was shot selection(I will let Kyle decide weather the shot should have been taken [&o]) If the head encounters hard bone such as his did,they are sure to be destroyed but on a perfect hit,I feel they would do fine.
Old 01-06-2004, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

TFOX hit on a very good point. Fixed blades can and will shoot as good as field points.

However, like TFOX also pointed out, fixed blades will not be as forgiving to bad form.

Easy for some of us to forget. Every bowhunter out there has not spent the last 20 years shooting 100 arrows plus per day, seven days a week.

I still prefer fixed blades, and since I am one of the dummys who has flung a ridiculous amount of arrows for way more than 20 years, I will continue to use them.

Some of the new mechanicals are pretty darn good though. I guess you just have to use whatever works best for you.
Old 01-07-2004, 08:05 AM

Expandables are only able to survive on the market because of the tons of people who are unknowingly shooting an untuned bow
Thats not really true -

My bow shoots 285 fps

My field points - muzzy fixed - ultimate steel fixed - thunder head fixed - and my mechanicals - will all hit the same 3" circle at 40 yds.

I choose and continue to choose to hunt with mechanicals - because they DO have some very appealing advantages.

As stated - they are much more forgiving to any form error. Very easy to be a little off in a hunting situation - and when pushing yardages out to 40.

I have had great wounds and very dead deer with all the mechanicals I have used.

They have there place - they are heer to stay.
Old 01-07-2004, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Expandables are only able to survive on the market because of the tons of people who are unknowingly shooting an untuned bow. Guys at the archery shop will tell you if you shoot over 260 fps you canot get fixed blades to fly straight. Let me translate that for you - When the bow shoots that fast those guys are unable to tune it properly, it gets finicky at that speed, and most pro shop guys are not good enough to do it right or don't want to take the time. Not to mention the fact they make more profit on the latest expandable on their shelf!!
I agree with the inability to properly tune a bow at a lot of proshops, that's why it's best that one learns to do things for themselves.

Other than that, I wholeheartedly concur with Rack. I can tune a bow and shoot both with great success. I choose to shoot a larger cut quality mechanical as I'd rather "waste" my extra ke cutting a bigger hole than burying futher into the ground on the exit side.
Old 01-07-2004, 08:58 AM

This was my only possible shot as she was walking in a straight line towards me and looked like she wasn't going to ever give me a shot.
You don't take the shot then. Sheesh.
Old 01-07-2004, 09:24 PM

TFOX, Big Country, Rack-Attack,

I'm glad you guys made the point about expandables being more forgiving. It makes perfect sense to me, However I've never really had that much of a problem with my fixed blades, so that really didn't cross my mind. And I know that there are some good mechanicals out there. My friend uses Rocket Steelheads and he and I both have been really impressed with the results he gets. My concern is that I always hear horror stories about expandables not opening , or they get jacked up on angled shots, poor penetration , small entry hole etc. and that's one less thing I have to worry about when hunting. I just feel like if everybody else got good arrow flight with fixed heads like I do then all of a sudden mechanicals would lose there appeal to the point it would be hard to sell them. But you guys brought up good points and I would say if it works for you, have at it!

-capt.