Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Should I start bow hunting? >

Should I start bow hunting?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Should I start bow hunting?

Old 12-20-2003, 08:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Should I start bow hunting?

I've never tried it. Gun hunted for years though. Can I acquire the skill? is it worth it? What about cross bows -- any respect for them?

Thanks!
Old 12-20-2003, 09:09 PM

Default RE: Should I start bow hunting?

i use a crossbow and aways have i like them they are differenet then a gun and harder. im going to use a compound bow next year though i just got one this is my first
Old 12-20-2003, 09:12 PM

O, and yes it is worth it and you should try it.
Old 12-20-2003, 09:47 PM

I don't really encourage anyone to be a bowhunter without becoming an archer first.

Ask yourself if you are willing to put in a couple hours a night for a few months to become proficient and learn archery. There's nothing worse in my mind than a guy who picks up a bow for a couple weeks before the season and calls himself a bowhunter.

Don't let this come across as negative. It's just my opinion that bowhunters should be archers, not opportunists trying to get in a longer hunting season. I think a profound love of shooting bows and arrows should be as much a part of bowhunting as the hunt itself.

Just my $.02 worth.
Old 12-20-2003, 09:57 PM

Ak, i guess you are the best at everything[:@]
Old 12-20-2003, 11:07 PM
nub

I think a profound love of shooting bows and arrows should be as much a part of bowhunting as the hunt itself.
Well put Doug.[:-]

Whats up with this comment n23?
Ak, i guess you are the best at everything
Oh! I see now.
i use a crossbow
[]
Old 12-20-2003, 11:53 PM

Nitro- You asked. I have never said I was the best. I am far from it. I will not be drawn into a peeing contest with you.

However, the bowhunting world is now wrought with slobs and I believe a lot of that comes from not taking the archery side seriously. I can forgive misses, I can even forgive lost animals. However, I hate hearing about these things from guys that just pick up a bow to get an extra season, but don't put in the time to become a good archer.

I would recommend that ANYONE start shooting archery. It is a life altering sport to me. There is a magic to shooting an arrow that very few sports can match. I could care less if you shoot traditional or compound, the magic for me is the same.

If you are not considering spending time at being an archer, then I suggest that you keep shooting your cross bow. I actually see nothing wrong with that.
Old 12-21-2003, 05:48 AM
Spike

The rewards are definately worth all the effort it takes to become proficient with a bow. And for myself, I never stop learning while bow hunting. If you get a rush from gun hunting wait until you try bowhunting. If possible, try to hook up with a couple of 3D shoots during the year and you will get a whole new dynamic of bow hunting instead of just hitting a target from 20 yards. Try it, you wont like it, you will love it.
Old 12-21-2003, 10:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yes you should give it a try. It's a rush. It won't take you that long to become proficient with todays equipment. Go to a good pro-shop and get set up.See if the owner or someone will give you some help with your form and the basics.

Your better shooting a few arrows at a time then two hour, 200 arrow marathons when you start.

However, I hate hearing about these things from guys that just pick up a bow to get an extra season, but don't put in the time to become a good archer.
Well that's exactly why I picked up the bow about 15 years ago. I was ready for the woods when it came time to hunt. Still don't shoot all year long. When the walleye/salmon are biting I'm fishing. Still am a fanatic when it come to bow hunting.
Old 12-21-2003, 11:19 AM
Typical Buck

I started bow hunting 2 yrs ago and I love it. I thought about starting 5 yrs ago
but I didnt think I could be good enough with a bow to shoot a deer. a friend talked me into it, and another buddy works at a pro shop and he set me up.
I have shot 3 deer in the last 2 years, all it takes is a tuned bow and practice,and a good stand set up of course

Quick Reply: Should I start bow hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.