Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Should I start bow hunting? >

Should I start bow hunting?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Should I start bow hunting?

Old 12-21-2003, 12:44 PM

Default RE: Should I start bow hunting?

I always grimace a bit when I read or hear someone say that learning to be proficient with a bow is not that difficult and can be accomplished in a short time. I have been shooting bows for over 40 years and bowhunting deer for 39 years, and I am still making mistakes and still learning. That is just in the "archery" (only) area. Bowhunting is a separate area of learning, and the application of what is learned differs from person to person and area to area.

I can take an individual that has never shot a bow, put a compound in his or her hands, provide eyes and hands on instructions, and within a short period of time I can have that person shooting fairly accurate and grouping decently….on a target. However, in most cases, consistency will be inconsistent and far down the road.

Once I instructed a person to (just) shoot a bow with some proficiency and then I walked away, would be like abandoning a person in the middle of a vast forest without a compass, a map, and a sense of direction. Some would immediately become confused, disoriented, and just walk in circles until they gave up. Some would stumble around until they found their way out. However, it would take a long time and most would not fully comprehend how they found their way out.

Learning all that should be known about archery and archery equipment, and hunting large game with a bow, is not an easy task that can be accomplished in a short period of time if a person is to be a fully competent archer, shooter, and bowhunter. It just does not work that way.
Old 12-21-2003, 12:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't really encourage anyone to be a bowhunter without becoming an archer first.
AKDoug and nub said it all.
Practice and get good and you will enjoy it. Just pick up a compound and go hunting and you will join the rest of the ranks, Asking about tracking a wounded deer when its to late. [:'(] Practice doesn't make perfect, but it will put deer in the freezer

If you can't find the patience to practice and learn, where are you going to find the patience to have a deer walk under your stand?
Old 12-21-2003, 01:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

It won't take you that long to become proficient with todays equipment. Go to a good pro-shop and get set up.See if the owner or someone will give you some help with your form and the basics.
It doesn't take monthes to become profecient with todays equipment.

How is what I said so much different then this?

I can take an individual that has never shot a bow, put a compound in his or her hands, provide eyes and hands on instructions, and within a short period of time I can have that person shooting fairly accurate and grouping decently….on a target
Some of you people are a little too full of yourselfs.

You guys are right it's rocket science.
Old 12-21-2003, 01:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Last post on this thread.
Can I acquire the skill? is it worth it
I'm sure you can acquire the skill you'll need to take deer with the bow. It's not that hard at least it wasn't for me. Takes some dedication that's for sure, but it's not like your joing a buddist temple to learn Kung fu.

Isit worth it? Sure is , most pure form of hunting there is. You've already been hunting for years so you proably know your way around the woods.

Learning all that should be known about archery and archery equipment, and hunting large game with a bow, is not an easy task that can be accomplished in a short period of time if a person is to be a fully competent archer, shooter, and bowhunter. It just does not work that way.
Oh Master may I leave the temple now.lol.
Old 12-21-2003, 02:16 PM

No doubt, since the mid to late 60's the number of hunters in the field using bows has increased dramatically. I once read an article that said in the 60's to early 70's the number of bowhunters in Michigan was estimated to be 35,000. The estimate is now 300,000…in just Michigan.

I wonder what percentage of those 300,000 bowhunters heard archery and bowhunting was not that difficult to learn in a short a period, bought a compound, finally hit somewhere on a target with at least 3 or 4 arrow, and went deer hunting?
Old 12-21-2003, 02:28 PM

Try it. You"ll like it. Seriously, go to a pro shop and level with them. Tell them you are a complete novice in need of help. Most of the pro shops are more than glad to spend time with a beginner. It's just good business sense. Try some bows at their range, if one is not available go to one that has the facilities. More than likely, once you try a few bows & shots your interest will either rise or fall. Give it a chance before you go overboard on expensive equipment. Best of luck and Merry Christmas to you.
Old 12-21-2003, 02:45 PM

why is it that when someone levels with the truth, about how difficult bowhunting can be and how much time and dedication it takes, others see that as an oportunity to make themselves look like idiots trying to bring down the true archers/hunters....

etothepii, give a bow a try for a while, and then add the hunting later.

Anyone in here that thinks its not hard and you can go out and pick up a bow, shoot it a few times and then go hunting, you are just food for anti-hunters, oh well, ill see you guys in the next "i cant find my deer, help!" post on here.....
Old 12-21-2003, 03:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well I lied one last post.

15 years I've lost two deer with the bow. I have a kill ratio of about 96%, sorry if thats not good enough for you real hunters.

Anytime you folks want to shoot some arrows let me know.

Anyone in here that thinks its not hard and you can go out and pick up a bow, shoot it a few times and then go hunting
Never said anything like that, don't try and put words in my mouth.

This is what I said.

Your better shooting a few arrows at a time then two hour, 200 arrow marathons when you start.
Am I wrong? Shooting for two hours might lead to some form problems.

Well that's exactly why I picked up the bow about 15 years ago. I was ready for the woods when it came time to hunt. Still don't shoot all year long. When the walleye/salmon are biting I'm fishing. Still am a fanatic when it come to bow hunting.
Yup, when I started bow hunting I did to get extra time in the woods. At that time I didn't know how much I would eventually love the sport. I did however know what I owed the animal when I did hunt. A clean kill.

I know I'm not a real bowhunter because I don't shoot 12 monthes a year. I also like to fish and I run a youth foot ball league. Sorry about that. Can I still go in the woods?

oh well, ill see you guys in the next "i cant find my deer, help!" post on here.....
Actually I'm one of those people that get calls to see if I'll come help find a deer. I'm also the type of gut that will give up a day to help someone find a deer.

My son has been shooting since he was 5 he's 13 now and will go bowhunting with me next year. I think he's ready. He's been hunting with me since he was in the secong grade. He knows deer anatomy as been on quite a few blood trails.

Mossy and C903, The truth is you don't squat about my hunting abilities. If I showed this post to some people that knew me they would bust a gut laughing. Sorry I told the guy to go to a pro shop and take some lessons. Did you guys find it hard to shoot your compound bows?

Unbelievable cya.
Old 12-21-2003, 03:26 PM

Well etothepii, ignore the negative talk between the ones arguing. I just started last year and I love it. I have been gun hunting all my life but felt a need to challenge myself. This year I havent even went hunting with my rifle. I love it. But before I hunted, I shot everyday, got help from a bow shop to help me set everything up, and practiced some more. Still its a habit for me to shoot everyday I'm home no matter what the weather or conditions. I practice shooting from the ground standing, kneeling, squating, and any other position possible. I climbed a tree with my climbing stand in the woods around my house and shot continuously from there. Still , everytime I shoot, I learn something new. Its important to make one shot at a time. That means, not just getting out there and shooting arrows for the hell of it. After every shot, look back on what you did, and how it affected your shot. There are many different kinds of setups to use. Just do a little research on this forum or bowhunting magazines and theres accessories for everything. Some I have tried and liked and some I haven't . Its just trial and error and personal preference. It is definately worth the money and time. Good luck and I hope this has helped.
Old 12-21-2003, 03:31 PM
Typical Buck

ET,

Definitely get into bow hunting. I've been using a bow since I was 10 yrs old with some breaks in between for various reasons.

Go to a good archery shop, talk to people that hunt with them, get all the info you can before buying. Understand, it takes a lot of practice and time. I used to be quiet good with a bow and missed deer and boars within 10 yds, when I could consistently hit cigarette pack at 30. There's no in between, you'll either love or hate hit.

I started hunting when only recurves was legal in Georgia. I have been shooting a compound since about l977 or so. My compound is a PSE Nova, however it only has about 35 lbs let off. Because of arthiritis, I'm considering buying a new one with 65 or 70% let off, even so, I'll still have to break the poundage before the letoff happens.

Crossbows, I only have to say that I like it for those who need them for various reasons. Two of my friends can no longer pull bows back because of medical problems and they got permits to use crossbows.

Buy one, enjoy it, and you'll find rifle hunting lacking a little.

Good luck,
dog1

Quick Reply: Should I start bow hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.