Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Should I start bow hunting? >

Should I start bow hunting?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Should I start bow hunting?

Old 12-21-2003, 03:35 PM

Default RE: Should I start bow hunting?

i dont see "Charlie P" anywhere in my last post.....
Old 12-21-2003, 06:35 PM

Bow Hunting is worth it, but not near as easy as gun hunting IMHO. But it takes time to get good. If you do get yourself a bow, look into doing 3D shoots. I shoot with my two sons, we have a great time at the 3D shoots. The 3D shoots make me much more confident in my shooting and distance judging.
Old 12-21-2003, 09:34 PM
Fork Horn

Take every thing you read on this site with a grain of salt somewhere in-between what the drama queens and every body else has to say lies the truth .Take up archery. Chances are you will like it. If you are relatively coordinated and are willing to put in the time With a little help from some one that knows what they are doing you can purchase a quality bow tomorrow and be ready to go out next fall .there will limits on what you can shoot but if you are honest with your self you will know what your limits are. Stick to 20 yard high percentage shots (stay away from any frontal shots) make your mistakes, learn, have fun and respect the animal you are hunting. jmho
Old 12-21-2003, 10:09 PM

It is a life altering sport to me. There is a magic to shooting an arrow that very few sports can match. I could care less if you shoot traditional or compound, the magic for me is the same.
AMEN BROTHER!!!!!! I will never rifle hunt again for Deer or Elk, unless physical conditions prevent me from pulling my bow back
Old 12-22-2003, 12:48 AM

Charlie P:

I am not aware that I singled you out in any of my posts!! You have your opinions based on your experiences, I have mine.

I am not trying to convince "etothepii" not to take up bowhunting; just the opposite. He should know that if he desires to be a skilled archer and bowhunter, learning everything that needs and should be known about archery and bowhunting can be a daunting task until he is in the groove. Then, it's still an ongoing learning process. That is what makes archery/bowhunting a unique hunting experience that never becomes boring.
Old 12-22-2003, 03:11 AM
Fork Horn

I've never tried it. Gun hunted for years though. Can I acquire the skill? is it worth it? What about cross bows -- any respect for them?

Thanks!
Yes you can learn to shot a compound. It just take time and practice.

And No, I have no respect for a crossbow.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Somewhere between practicing everyday for years and shooting 3 arrows and heading into the woods lies how much practice you will need. Only you can determine that. It will go a lot easier if you have a knowledgable person tune your bow. From there you want to practice like you will hunt. Tree, ground, sitting, standing etc. Shooting is only 1 variable to the equation. The other things more important than shooting are discipline and remaining calm. Shoot only YOUR shots. Which for a beginner should be 20 yds or less, and broadside or slight quartering away aiming for the ribcage. Don't force your shots and don't panic. Having hunted before should help you there.

Good luck.