Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Mineral Blocks/Salt

Old 04-29-2009, 12:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default Mineral Blocks/Salt

What is your favorite type of salt or mineral block?

What is the price and where can it we found?

Also if you have any pic's of deer hitting the site, would you please include them too.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mineral Blocks/Salt

penninisde I stopped in the local feed store in OH. to buy 6 blocks and to pull the label off one of them for you but to my dismay when they brought the blocks to my truck I noticed that they were different from the blocks I purchased from them over the last 8 years. So I decided to try the new blocks and it only took 3 days for the one in front of my camera to disolve as you can clearly see in the first few pics. The old blocks we put out last June are still at 40-50% of what they were last June when we put them out. (if you look real close you can see one of the old blocks on the back of my ATV in the last pic that I put in front of the cam after seeing the new block disolved) But at least the deer seem to like the new block as much as the old one's. Pike

Old 04-29-2009, 03:59 PM
Fork Horn

thank you, i think that u may have changed my mind on what kind of minerals i use this offseason

you will probably save me a lot of money also
Old 04-29-2009, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO7fe...e=channel_page
Old 04-30-2009, 07:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

trophy rock!

Old 04-30-2009, 08:56 AM
Fork Horn

Last year I used trophy rocks as my mineral sites but after visiting the Local Tractor Supply I found the same mineral block for less than the trophy rock, to make it short the trophy rock weighs about 15-25 lbs and cost me about 9 dollars from Bass Pro, the mineral block I bough this year weighs 50lbs and cost me under 7 dollars...I found the same thing true for the food plot seed I bought, visit your local seed supply they usually will have just what you need.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Trace mineral block
Old 04-30-2009, 05:33 PM
Typical Buck

I have been using the same one described in the video Tribal posted and deer definitely like it!!

Trace Mineral...50lb bag....$15.00
White mixing Salt...50lb bag...$5.50
Di-cal....50lb bag....$14.00

That was the price at my local co-op around Mar 1st. This will last years, will have to buy another bag of trace mineral eventually to mix it right.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Haystack awesome looking hole!! But lets get that new cam of yours out so we can see whats digging in it
As far mixing my own mineral lick Im too lazy to mix my own and to cheap to spend that kind of money Thats why I just buy the generic 50lb blocks for $6.00 a peice. Pike
Old 04-30-2009, 06:26 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah Pike, I'm starting to get concerned about the cam I ordered on Apr 14, SLOW

I did see 15 deer in one group last evening, so I'm anxious to get er going

And Pike whats a few extra bucks for some ginormous horn!![8D] and yeah, I seen what ya posted in the trail cam forum.

Quick Reply: Mineral Blocks/Salt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.