Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Late Season

Old 12-15-2003, 11:04 AM

Default Late Season

For the late season what is better to hunt, the morning or afternoon? Or even noon? Also how many of you grunt and rattle and use scents? What type of terrain should i hunt, woods, food sources? Thank You!
Old 12-15-2003, 11:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Late Season

T-23, usually evening during Dec. Check out T.R.'s Tips.
Old 12-15-2003, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

It still depends on the location. For example: traditionally I have more success in evenings in late season also, but..........my favorite area is much better for morning hunts in late season because it's a travel through area from bedding grounds to food. I generally spook more deer here when I try to enter for afternoon hunts, no matter which direction I enter. In the mornings I can usually catch them as they move through to their bedding area.
Old 12-15-2003, 06:22 PM

Thanks! Do you mean Team Realtree?
Old 12-15-2003, 06:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks! Do you mean Team Realtree?
T.R.'s tips is another forum. He is a deer biologist who has his own forum here on huntingnet. Check it out lots of info.
Old 12-15-2003, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never run into the late rut here in MI. By the end of gun season (Nov 31), the deer have gone nocturnal. Been out 4 times and have only seen 3 does, all at the tail end of shooting light. It's tough. Haven't figured it out yet.
Old 12-16-2003, 08:51 AM
Typical Buck

i have always been a fan of mornings, but have seen plenty of deer in fields during the evening
Old 12-16-2003, 12:47 PM

About a week after gun season starts here in MD. I noticed most of the deer have went nocturnal. I generally have 3 game plans for bowhunting, My pre rut hunting tactics, my rut hunting tactics and my after the gunslingers have left the woods tactics.)

Now that I am in the " After the gunslingers have left the woods" phase of my plan I usually use that first few days after the end of the gun season to move my stands to trails leading to prime feeding areas and bedding areas. After that is done I do not hit the woods for atleast 2 weeks to give the deer time to relax and mello out after being chased by the crazy men in orange.

Anyways seems to work for me, have taken a late season buck every year for 16 years. First year hunting in maryland so I will have to see if the plan holds true.

P.S Almost forgot, 16 years in a row my late season buck has always been shot in the evening. I have done morning hunts also but always get'em on the evening hunts.

Dave