Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
400gr minimum in PA? >

400gr minimum in PA?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

400gr minimum in PA?

Old 02-08-2002, 12:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 400gr minimum in PA?

lilhunter, that would be correct. And, as I am sure you can see, there seems to be differing opinions as to the worth of the organization.
Old 02-08-2002, 12:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

thats cool...but heck thats not the question lol. I am having the same problems with some groups up here...there motto is to support educate and promote archery, heck I havent received an email in 2 years running (I was the last editor LOL). Now we have proposals on the floor to really do some damage to archery and hunting as a hole and they cant and wont take a stand...kinda makes me wonder just what they really stand for! btw one of these groups is one that instituted the IBEP mandated requirements to hunt in Ak for Archery only areas and is now trying to get us to write our stinking names on our arras...sorry man but just whats that going to prove LOL!
Old 02-08-2002, 01:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

That sounds pretty dumb! Plus, I heard that hthere is a proposal in AK to go with a 900gr. minimum arrow weight? I agree that a heavier arrow will do a better job on really big game, but 900 grains is a little bit much! I could see maybe 540-600 grain min. on grizz. But for anything else, why? Hope you guys up there come out of this OK. I sure would like to get up your way in a couple years, to hunt on kodiak, for brownies!
Old 02-08-2002, 03:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

ArthurP , What do you call lowend model crossbows? I have a horton super mag 150. Use there 20" bolt 3 vanes ,125 thunderhead.My goodness if I get any heavier I will have to be 2 yards from the target.The way it is now from 20 to 30 yards it drops 15 inchs,and they call them guns.Well anyway Pa has a limit on the lbs you can use on crossbows also.So if I have to stay with my 150 and go to 400 bolts I might as well throw the bolts at the deer.I thought well I will buy a new crossbow anyway ,a 2oo lb and fooey on there 150 limit. the out fit was over 1100 dollars. fully eguipt.I'm just going to have to quit hunting if they go to 400. it wont be ethical to lob the bolts at the deer and I cant afford 1100 for a new outfit. anyway I think the whole idea is stupid no matter whose idea it is.
Old 02-08-2002, 05:40 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-08-2002, 07:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Cardeer, ever heard of a Barnett Wildcat? Worst POS I ever spent money on! It's even worse than a lobber. But there are some high performance crossbows that won't set you back any more than a low-to-mid range compound would.

Barnett has the Rhino Quad and Quad 300 that will shoot 20" 2219 (well over 400 grains) shafts from 285-300 fps at 150 pounds. $300-350.

I don't know about your Horton, but that speed just flat stomps the dog snot out of my Wildcat.
Old 02-08-2002, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Whackmaster. I hear what your saying but in MOST cases you start fooling with the poundage you are going to have to switch arrows depending on how much you change! Also shoot those arrows that are to light at the 3ds or stumping or heck, small game and furbearer hunting! You are going to have to buy arrows eventually and instead of trying to institute a total minimum as more on the ludicrious side then then a minimum for the bow weight. Besides, who really doesnt want an excuse to get more archery gear if it comes to adding 20 grains onto your arrow LOL!

There is 2 props for arrow weights, one is more realitic then the other but still ludcicrous! Heck I would have to go to rebar to shoot them...actually jump arrow head weights by 50 grains....so even the total package minimums effect folks! Its just who is it going to effect the least and get the greatest outcome from? That I can answer unbiasedly as I have my opinions!
Old 02-08-2002, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, on the UBP note, I guess that they have good points and bad ones. From what I've been told, they did help the archers preserve the first two weeks of november for archery season the mr. Alt wanted to take away.
The crossbow subject to me is kind of up and down. I just dont think they have a place in hunting other then handicapped people. BUT, I wouldnt mind them legalizing them becouse my father, who has severe arthritis in his shoulders and hands, has a lot of trouble pulling a bow back.
My honest opinion, I believe that Gary Alt is doing what it takes to get the deer kill numbers up, so if crossbows will improve that, then thats whats going to be done. He wants PA hunting to be much like hunting the big woods in Canada, where you may only see 5 deer a day. That would kind of stink if you ask me.

Just my Opinion
Old 02-08-2002, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

muzzyman88, Alt states that he wants to get total herd #`s to about 750,000. That is what the herd was estimated to be in the early 1980`s. I don`t recall a shortage of deer anywhere I hunted back then.