Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

At a very MINIMUM............

Old 02-13-2006, 08:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default At a very MINIMUM............

........our esteemed Vice President should be required to attend basic and ADVANCED hunter safety education.

It's very basic people. Identify your target and what lies in your range of fire. Both in fron and beyong your inteded target. These incidents are not accidents by even the furthest stretch of the imagination! They are acts of NEGLIGENCE.

Old 02-13-2006, 06:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: At a very MINIMUM............

Sorry uncle matt, but if you don't mean to do something then it's an "accident". But he's still a smacked ass!
Old 02-13-2006, 07:35 PM

I think at a very MINIMUM, people should know 100% of the facts before making a claim like that. And whether youlike it or not, it is an accident. Unless he shot him on purpose, it was an accident. And it sounds to me like both parties were at fault. JMHO
Old 02-13-2006, 10:10 PM

I agree it was an accident, and we can't be perfect 100% of the time. Me not knowing all of the facts I think it is terrible that it happend. I am glad however that the guy was alright last I heard. I do however think it is unfortunate that dick cheeny is going to be made to look like a careless individual that should not have a gun. This is the way it always goes.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wounding your attorney is not good. That will be an intresting outcome.

Bobby
Old 02-14-2006, 02:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

The lawyer and any prosecutors will be paid off.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

So if I'm reading this correctly..........

It was an accident because he did not intend to shoot the lawyer.

Did the lawyer not get shot because Mr. Cheney did not observe basic shooting rules? (clearly & positively identify your intended target - have nothing in line of fire you do not wish to have destroyed)

I do believe Mr. Cheney was neligent.

From Websters New World College Dictionary (4th Edition)........
accident (ak'se dent) n. definition #2. an unpleasant and unintended happening, sometimes resulting from negligence, that results in injury, loss, damage, etc.

Meaning to me that althoughit might be refered to as an "accident", there indeed was negligence as a factor - a major factor.
If the party was line hunting, and the lawyer was approaching from the rear (because the line had moved on as the lawyer searched for a bird).....How exactly did Mr. Cheney get his shotgun pointing to the rear of the line; where the lawyer was in the line of fire?

Asa certified hunting safety instructor I can tell you that 99% of the times you read about shooting or hunting accidents, these accidents are avoidable by following your basic safety rules. So therefore, these accidents are actually acts of negligence or recklessness.

Look at it this way, if you are driving down a highway with no stop signs or stop lights for you, andI pull my vehicle out in front of you and you strike my vehicle, is that just an "accident". No it's not. We are just so accustomed to refering to it that way that we do call it an accident. But in actuality, the collision is the result of my negligent act - negligence is the key factor to the collision. I did notmake sure that there was room and time to enter your traffic lane.

I for one would not want to be around him if any sort of firearms are present.

Atleast no one was killed or seriously injured.

Old 02-14-2006, 09:15 AM

Of course their was negligence. Negligence on the part of BOTH involved. And I never said their was no negligence. Merely that it was, in fact, an accident. An accident results from negligence, as proved by your definition.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

It was Cheney's fault pure and simple...He pulled the trigger, and if we are getting at least some of the facts right...he turned 180 degrees to shoot at a quail going away....Guys, you don't do that!!! I isn't like you are by yourself hunting on the back 40....He knew there were other people in the area...
You let that quail go and hunt singles later...

Uncle Matt...like you I have taught hunting safety for many years, and have hunted for over 40 years...I have never even come close to shooting somebody else...Cheney need a safety course and probably some community work time...
Old 02-14-2006, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

An accident does not always imply negligence.If its not an accident its intentional or your freekin insane. I think its safe to assume it wasn't an act of GOD.

All the facts aren't in yet as to who was or wasn't negligent and to what extent either one might be negligent.

As usual the press/media is making assumptions and calling in all the armchair generals with combat expertice in upland bird hunting and the proper use of shotgun bla...bla..bla...I heard one report by a local dis jockey that said he was shot with buck shot.

They recreated the incident on one of the early morning shows - give me a break.How the hell could they recreate something they have no facts on. This is gonna turn out to be another slam bam sham festival for the press/media. I bet before its all over they'll dig up some photo of Chaney pointing his toy gun at some kid when he was 5yrs old. I'm sure his fishing techniques will also be bashed around before its all over.