Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My High Country Sniper...any info... >

My High Country Sniper...any info...

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My High Country Sniper...any info...

Old 11-30-2003, 08:52 AM

Default My High Country Sniper...any info...

Hello all, I' m new to the forum here (but been doing alot of reading here for the past few weeks. After 5 years away from the sports its time to come back. I own a High Country Sniper. I bought the bow about 8 or 9 years ago and was told the previous owner was a very experienced archer who has taken many deer with it. In my few years using it before my time off I' ve been very pleased with it. No problems getting pass-throughs every time. I know most of you use new, faster bows and after giving it some consideration I' ve decided to stick with this bow (if it ain' t broke, don' t fix it :-)) It' s real confortable to shoot and after shooting for the past month it' s like I never left. I decided to skip this season and start hunting again next, once I' m completely comfortable with shooting again. Does anyone know where I can find info on this bow? I' ve done a search on google but came up with nothing. I rememeber being told that it could be cranked up to 90# but I currently use it at 65#. I know usually bows only have a 10# to 15# adjustment range but was told this by the archery shop owner that it could go up to 90#. Unfortunately the archery shop is no longer open so I cant ask him. Any info you can give me would be much appreciated. Thanks, Scott.
Old 11-30-2003, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My High Country Sniper...any info...

Scott:

As you may be aware, High Country was pretty much at the top of the compound bow world in the early " 90' s. I remember one of my friends had a High Country Safari, which was kind of a soft cam. The Supremes had the hard Phantom Extreme (hatchet) cams, and the Sniper had energy wheels. I' m sure at #65, you have plenty of power for pass-through shots on deer. I am sure that all of them were stickered to have a 15# draw wt. range, instead of the #10 range that most bows have today. If your bow does actually go up to #90, as some Snipers did, then its bottom weight should be #75. I' m guessing that the limb sticker is not readable anymore. Do your limbs look like the bolts are backed way off? Is there space between the base of the limb, and the limb pocket? Most bows that are backed off 25# from their peak weight should look strange to say the least. If it really is a #90 bow, and you are shooting it at #65, the limbs would have to be backed way off, probably too far, IMO. If the limbs don' t really look like they are backed off too far, then perhaps it is a #65-80. They sold a lot of those back in the early ' 90s. Perhaps Pinwheel 12 could help you. He used to be a factory shooter for High Country back then. Jeff B. also seems to have a lot of experience with High Country bows. If those two do not respond to this thread, I would suggest
e-mailing them. Jeff B. in particular is very helpful and answers any question I have ever asked of him. Hope this helps. Good Luck!
Old 11-30-2003, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Scott, welcome to the board!

The Sniper you have was, and still is, a good hunting bow.

If you are currently shooting at 65#, the bow will not make 90# without a limb change.

I have owned several of just about every model HCA has made. Still do have a sniper, a trophy hunter, a Safari.

If you have any questions about your bow, or need any parts, let me know. I have a fair collection of parts for the older HCA stuff.
Old 11-30-2003, 04:32 PM

Thanks, It' s been awhile since I bought the bow so I may have been mistaken about the 90#. I do know that it' s currently at 65# so it' s probably one of the 80# models. There is still lots of room for cranking down the limbs so it must be the 80#. Thanks for the tips on who to ask. Big Country, thanks also to you. I' ll keep you in mind if I have any problems with parts or need any other info regarding the High Countries. I have always enjoyed shooting this bow and will stick with it. I almost switched to a Matthews Solocam (I was amazed by the speed compared to my bow) when they first came out but decided to stick with my more basic setup. For me, if it will kill the deer with every good shot I take that' s all I can ask for. Take care, Scott.
Old 01-07-2018, 03:14 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Big Country
Scott, welcome to the board!

The Sniper you have was, and still is, a good hunting bow.

If you are currently shooting at 65#, the bow will not make 90# without a limb change.

I have owned several of just about every model HCA has made. Still do have a sniper, a trophy hunter, a Safari.

If you have any questions about your bow, or need any parts, let me know. I have a fair collection of parts for the older HCA stuff.
I have been looking for info on my safari. I aquired mine from my grandfather when he passed.its the same lh bow he taught me to shoot with as a kid. But still if you have some info on it please let me know
Old 12-16-2021, 05:28 PM
Spike

Default I’m looking for some cams for a high country sniper

Im looking for some high country sniper cams a 27