Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Too young for a " real"  bow? >

Too young for a " real" bow?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Too young for a " real" bow?

Old 12-02-2003, 06:28 PM
Spike

Default RE: Too young for a " real" bow?

Bowtech Stalker Lite will do great for that age if the draw isnt to long. My son got his when he was 11 and he is not big for his age and it works great for him. Will go high enough on pounds to shoot deer but down far enough for him to start.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:38 PM

My son took his first two whitetails last year at the age of ten using a Browning Micro-Eclipse.This is a single cam bow that was offered for kids and small framed adults.Ryan had complete pass-throughs pulling 38# with shots at 13 and 18 yards.Unfortunately, Browning doesn't offer this bow any longer, but any of their Micro series bows would be great.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:10 PM

Don't you know, a 35 lb bow will easily kill any deer. Might not always pass completely through but will easily reach the second ribcage taking out bouth lungs provided that the broadhead is razor sharp (as it should be). Check the state regulations. Hawaii's minimum compound draw weight is 30 lb but I would think it would be more on the mainland with the larger game. I shoot a 45 pound compound and it will easily kill two goats in one shot. 35 pounds will do fine for now.
Old 12-04-2003, 04:58 AM

I agree with all of the guys about the Browning Micro lines. My ten year old son shoots one set at 43#. ( He started at about 30# or so) He throws a great arrow, 1916, with 100gr. Muzzys. I never speed tested the bow but even with these slightly heavy arrows, it shoots flat and zips out to 20 yds.

I'd ask around at the local gun shop or bow club since many kids outgrow these youth bows and the parents would love to pass them along to you. In my area, there seems to be a network of youth guns, bows, clothing that when outgrown, is handed off to another parent. Just last week I was going to purchase a larger parka for my son for the rest of the deer and duck season. Then I get a message from a friend that he has two parkas and insulated bibs that he can't wear anymore. The larger of the two fit perfectly and saved me a good amount of cash. Two weeks ago, I passed off two pairs of camo pants to another friend.

I'd ask around.

Greg
Old 12-04-2003, 06:25 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-04-2003, 08:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with Tracy.