Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Post Rut Decoy - Buck or Doe? >

Post Rut Decoy - Buck or Doe?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Post Rut Decoy - Buck or Doe?

Old 11-19-2003, 01:21 PM
jkr

Default Post Rut Decoy - Buck or Doe?

Here is SE Ohio, the rut is basically over - especially with the warm temps expected this weekend. Should I use a buck or doe decoy for post-rut? Or, should I not even use a decoy. I' ve had very limited success using a decoy anyway (only small fawns seemed to come to it.)

Also, should I still use Doe Estrus scent or basically go scentless? Thx.
Old 11-19-2003, 03:02 PM

Default RE: Post Rut Decoy - Buck or Doe?

If I were gonna use a decoy I would go with the doe. Most of the does have been bred by this point and a few determined bucks may be out searching for that unbred lady.

I try to stay away from buck decoys. I think we can all agree that a buck would much rather appraoch a doe trying to get lucky, then to approach another buck looking to bang heads. I know I would!
Old 11-20-2003, 07:48 AM

Default RE: Post Rut Decoy - Buck or Doe?

Boy, tough question. The doe decoy with the good smelling stuff should still attract a buck. If the rut is winding down there are not many receptive does left and he should be happy to meet her. From velvet off until they drop their antlers whitetail bucks can and will breed. Most guys who rattle have better luck just before and just after the rut also, so maybe a buck decoy would get the boy who is frustrated and not finding any does to hit.

I use a decoy but only as a buck. The doe decoy tends to bring in yearlings and does. Movement on your decoy is more important than scent. Hang a white strip of plastic bag off each ear and the tail. This will move with the slightest breeze. Better yet, tie a piece of fishing line to the tail and bring it up to your tree stand. Now it can wiggle nice with a subtle tug. A deer will stare at a motionless decoy for a long time then they start to get mad at it. They will usually start to blow and stamp their front feet before just walking away.

A decoy can be very fun. You get to see things you normally would never see. I have a real deer hide on mine (a redy-doe with antlers). I call him Michael (Jackson) because his face is kind of screwed up. The cape didn' t fit the plastic doe head very well.