Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Range finder question???? >

Range finder question????

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Range finder question????

Old 11-12-2003, 09:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Range finder question????

I remember someone mentioning some kind of range finding strip that they put on thier riser, it is normally used in photography and is supposed to be pretty accurate. Does anyone know of these and where I could get one & about how much they cost?
Old 11-12-2003, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Range finder question????

I used to have one on a set of sights I had on a bow years ago. It was surprisingly accurate. You lined up the horizontal lines with the top and bottom of the deer and that' s your yardage. The further away, the closer the sets of lines are. Of course, not much help here Taz, sorry - that was 15 years ago! I haven' t seen one since.
Old 11-12-2003, 09:50 AM
Dominant Buck

You can make one or buy some type of strip or rings. The problems you have with them are of a couple different varieties. First off, they are made to be used like stadia lines in an old military type anti tank site. You' re suppose to beable to put the top line on the back and the bottom on the belly and if it fits cleanly it' s X yards(with the scale able to fit an 18 or 16 inch object in it. Well, all deer are not created equal in the girth department. Secondly, the scale has to be held the same distance from you eye every time to fit the animal properly. Equate it to looking through the eye of a needle or peep with it held against your eye and then again held at arms length... definitely a difference on what will fit between the lines. You could make one with tape, marking off some distances and holding your bow at draw. Stick the tape on the back of your bow near your line of sight. Have someone use a pencil and mark your tape. Deer are different sizes in different places. Does of course are much smaller in girth than a buck in the same local. Things to consider when making your scale. Around here I' d use a McKensie medium. In NY Adirondacks maybe between a medium and large. Iowa, maybe a JUMBO.[:-] You could just decide on what size in inches, draw a circle and then make lines for 20, 30 and 40 or whatever. It would be better than nothing. IF you hunt from real high treestands, the object you see as it gets closer is a little narrower and would throw your scale off a little. Pick a happy medium and you' d have something.
Old 11-12-2003, 09:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

bob that sure sounds like what I am talking about, was it part of the site?
Old 11-12-2003, 09:59 AM
Dominant Buck

A good example of different animals being different size. In Vietnam we armored cavalry types had to dodge RPGs all the time. Well, the RPG had stadia lines in the sight based on the size of a tank. When they shot at a personnel carrier(which is much shorter) they always shot high because the sight would say the " TANK" was further away. We had dozens of those things go sailing harmlessly overhead. The smart gunners aimed low on us or quite often got lucky and hit us high up in the gunshields which caused some personnel damage but left the vehicles running. Big deer... little deer... big Tank... little personnel carrier.[]
Old 11-12-2003, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes - it was built into the site, but appeared on the other side of the bow. I found it to be accurate in being able to select the right pin for the shot, not to the exact inch but it puts you in the kill zone.
Old 11-12-2003, 11:46 AM

Check this out sounds interesting and affordable but not sure how deer would react to ultrasonic sound?
http://www.transtronics.com/rm-2108.htm
oh and found this one too, in the $30 range, but could not find any kinda chart or reference table to use on your bow ... sorry
http://www.outman.com/cgi-bin/r_prod...gi?model=BH520