Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Story Time....1st bow or gun kill. >

Story Time....1st bow or gun kill.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Story Time....1st bow or gun kill.

Old 11-10-2003, 06:48 AM

Default Story Time....1st bow or gun kill.

Let' s start a good little thread....a story on your very 1st bow or gun kill.

Mine...

I was 14 and it was my 1st time hunting alone. I was gun hunting at the time with a Rem 870 express. I didn' t pickup bowhunting until about 8 years after this. I haven' t shot a deer previous to this, so I was all pumped up to do it on my OWN. he, he I was sitting there on a big ridge that funneled deer right past me plus I could see a long way away to get ready to shoot something. There were some guys doing a deer drive on a patch of woods 2 miles away. All of sudden I see deer filtering out of the woods into an alfalfa field way in front the drivers. After they come out I count six(all doe) and I' m thinking to myself..." Ok if they get to that one point and turn I should have a shot at any one of them that I want or if they turn the other way I won' t get a shot at any of them. At this point my heart is beating at 1000 beats per sec and they were a mile away. The 1st doe gets to that point and turns my way. I remember saying " Here they come...here they come" . I get ready while they are all coming right into me. They filter through a finger of a slough and stop....about 70 yards away and stopped so they could all catch up to eachother. The started walking right to me(about a 50 yard shot). I can' t really explain what I thinking even if I tried to remember. At this point my heart was beating 1,000,000 beats per sec and I was just sweating big time. The 1st one gets into my shooting lane and BAM....I shot. It drops like a ton of bricks and I sprint right down to it. I don' t think I have ever run that fast in my ENTIRE life. Remembering that my dad said to cut it' s throat to bleed it out....I grab for my knife and I couldn' t do it. I knew where my knife was, but I couldn' t physically grab it. My whole body froze up. I had so many emotions running through me....I had to sit down and just relax a bit. I think I sat there for a good 15 min before I could do anything. I have looked back at that experience many, many times and I just laugh to myself. What a great experience...one that I will NEVER forget. One more funny note...while I was sitting there not being able to do anything, there were two more doe and just sat there and watched me sprint down to the one that I shot about 30 yards away. I didn' t even once think about shooting at those. LOL After about 5 secs, they ran off.
Old 11-10-2003, 01:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Story Time....1st bow or gun kill.

My first deer: 18 years old, had been bow hunting for four and gun for two. I shot it with my bow. I had practiced hundreds of arrows even from the stand I was hunting in and could group arrows in the bullseye every time, but that day was different - a live animal! I fell asleep in the stand and woke up to a nice 8pt on the pile. I gut shot him at 14 yards! Not knowing anything about hunting, I got down after only five minutes and started trailing his blood. I kicked him out of the fence row he was bedded in only 80 yards away. I tracked after him immediately (duh!), only to push him further. It got dark so I went and got my dad to help. After a few hours (by my dad' s recommendation) we went after him only to bump him again. At the time, the dog was barking tied up outside the house over 500 yards away downwind. That dog seemed to know what was going on. My dad suggested we get the dog. The dog had the deer in minutes and actually ran the deer back toward us and into a pond, then went and got my dad. My dad said he would go check it out while I continued to track. Minutes later I heard a gun shot. My dad always carries a pistol and this night was no exception. The dog took my dad to the deer standing 5 yards out in the pond. The deer charged my dad when he showed up so my dad shot at the deer to stop him (and missed). I ran to their location to see the deer standing in the pond still alive. I double lunged him with another arrow and he swam across the pond about 15 yards and dropped on the opposite bank. He weighed 150 dressed. Worst deer story I' ve heard and one I' m not proud of, but we got the deer. Never gut shot one since.
Old 11-10-2003, 02:14 PM

I got my first deer last year. I wasn' t sure if I could kill one until I didn' t see any deer after 23 trips into the woods. By then I was so determined I had no second thoughts.

I had a buddy help me pick out a spot and stand. We actually bumped a good sized buck on the way out and I thought the hunt was ruined.

We set up and my buddy told me where he had seen deer coming through. I can remember him telling me they should move through in an hour or so and to stand up then.

Well not 10 MINUTES later 2 does come strolling in! I was in shock, and not ready. I fumbled to get ready and tried to pull back really slow and while seated, no go. I went for broke and stood up, drew and nailed one of the does at 15 yards. She ran about 40 yards and dropped.

I immediatly got on the cell phone to call my buddy when I noticed the second doe circling back. I told my buddy I had just got one and the other doe was coming back. I asked him what I should do and I will never forget what he said " So shoot it stupid!" . I didn' t take the shot since it was just out of reach.

There strangest part of the whole thing is that it never really hit me what happend. It all happened so fast I had no time to think about it.
Old 11-10-2003, 02:37 PM
Spike

I’ll make mine short.

After driving two hours to the hunting property I didn’t get into the blind until 11:00 am. I’m not quite completely settled in for a long afternoon hunt on firearm opening day when a 4 pt comes in. Took him with about a 40yd shot. He traveled about 100yds and expired about 5yds from the road, where I gutted, loaded him the truck and drove home.
Old 11-10-2003, 06:11 PM
Spike

I sent in my story about my first bow deer and they actually put it on the web site. Take a look and let me know what you think.
http://www.hunting.net/stories/story.asp?ID=21
Old 11-10-2003, 07:19 PM

Ok, well been hunting in my own treestand since i was 11. For 2 years we were in a mediocre club, i didnt see much those two years, a few but it never worked out. The next year, when I was 13, I hunted for the first time on our new hunting club. My daddy had shot a nice 6 pt that morning, and he took me to a spot on the edge of a clearcut and swamp about 100 yds from a road. At about 4:15, a small doe walked out into the cleacut to feed. i was shaking in my britches by this time, my legs were shaking uncontrollably and would not stop. For 30 minutes I battled it. I was not gonna shoot her, but the deer just made me that nervous. Well 30 minutes later i glanced down the edge where the doe had walked out and almost fell out of my stand. There was a buck, and a big one. The biggest id ever seen. I dont remember much but i do remember he was to my right so i slid around as much as I could in my stand to the right so i could shoot right handed. I was able to get pretty steady cuz i only weighed about 90 lbs then so i had plenty of room. It seemed liek as soon as i found him in the scope i pulled the trigger and down he went. I spine shot him with my Christmas present 30-30 from the year before. I was so happy, probably the happiest I' ll ever be. My big brother and my dad had all killed deer in the 2 years i hunted with em but mine was by far the biggest. Well, i finally got down to him, an 8 pt. Now Im 19, and have killed about 23 more since then, and even bigger ones, but im sure ill remember that 105 inch 8 pt more than any of em.
Old 11-11-2003, 09:13 AM

Well, i took my first deer when i was twelve. but i can remember the events better than any other deer i have shot. I grew up on a farm in east central alabama, not really known for their big deer. but i knew we had a few on our place. considering that my dad had not killed them all. well, my dad and i had been wachting some timber all summer, and had watched a nice eight point browse along the feild line for some time. so we put up a two person ladder stand, and waited until the season opener. about 15 minutes into the season, here came the same buck fedding down the edgerow. i raised my gun and BLAM!! nothing happened. the deer just stood there. i started crying so bad. and my dad started saying SHOOT SHOOT!! well i tried with all the tears in my eyes. and i didn' t miss this time. hit him right in the heart, he didn' t run 2 yards. i haven' t killed one that means more to me or my dad.
Old 11-11-2003, 02:54 PM

Back in ' 92 I had a four-point walk up to me broadside at about 15 uards. I sent an arrow over his back. I got down checked the arrow and climbed back into my stand. Before I could take my bow off the holder, a different four-pointer ran up and stood in the same spot. Naturally I aimed about 6 inches lower. He ran about 40 yards and went down hard. It took me about 45 minutes to gut the first one. I had to keep turning my head to catch my breath. Of course, I' m a pro at it now...it only takes me 40 minutes![&:]
Old 11-11-2003, 03:41 PM

10 years ago, never had shot a deer,a friend of mine told me he had spoted a couple of does in a very small field. The next afternoon i sat at the edge of the field to see where the deer entered the feild it was the right hand corner. the following afternoon i set up a tree stand on the the right edge of the field about 25 yards from where they entered. That night i sat the stand and they entered the field on the left hand corner needless to say no shot opportunity. So i asked my friends dad should i move the stand to the other side of the field he said no. The next afternoon i sat the stand 6 does came in on the right side of the field. Now i have 6 sets of eyes i have to watch to try to get a shot off. I picked the biggest one which also happened to be the closest, pick up my bow but when i did i was shaking so bad i had to put the bow down turn around to look away and collect my thoughts for about 30 seconds. I then picked up the bow drew back put my 25yd pin on the deer an WHACK!! the deer went to the ground the others took off. I had spined the deer, I grabbed another arrow drew put the 20yd pin on and right through the boiler room. No tracking involved.Got out of the stand gutted it dragged it to the edge of the field and waited for my friends dad to pick me up. needless to say i had a permanent smile on my face that night and will never forget those 3 days .
Old 11-11-2003, 06:55 PM

My first deer was a buttonbuck two years ago. It was my second year hunting (I didn' t have a doe tag the first year). At five minutes past the legal hunting start time I heard something coming thru the woods towards me. I' m set up in a bunch of downed trees near the top of a hill. I look back and to my left to see a group of deer at about 25 yards. I aim the rifle at the first deers shoulder and pull the trigger. The deer jumped up in the air and fell dead instantly. Shot thru both shoulders - didn' t even find the heart when it was gutted - must have blown it apart.
Then last year I got my first doe by bow. We are required to remove salt licks 30 days before hunting season starts. Well, the deer don' t know that and they keep returning looking for the lick. Near the end of the bowseason I am getting ready for work. I' m showered and dressed and I open the door to leave. As I go out I look out the window and I see three does on the hill. I go back in the house and grab my bow. I sneak out the door to our sunroom and slowly open the door. The does don' t notice me, but I notice an 8 point on the way down to visit the does. He feels somethings not right so he turns around and goes back up the hill. I take aim on the closest doe at 27 yards. The first arrow gets deflected by a twig (wouldn' t you know it - story of my hunting season this year) The does never flinched after that shot so I loaded up another and smack the closer deer. I shot it through the front of the chest (must have hit the arteries in front of the heart with tons of blood everywhere). It ran about 10 yards and dropped. I went back in the house while the hubby is asking " Did you hit it?" I said " Yeah, but it ran" . I get the binoculars and look out the window. I can see the deer up on the hill. It took a long time to die and I felt really bad about this. I never admitted to everyone before that I shot the deer from the front door, but I am now because I am ashamed of it. That wasn' t hunting - it was a lucky chance shot. Now whenever the deer are on the hill by the house I grab my camera instead. I do not hunt from the house because there really isn' t hunting involved - just proper shot placement.....