Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Pic and story of first kill.... >

Pic and story of first kill....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Pic and story of first kill....

Old 09-02-2007, 09:17 PM
Typical Buck

Default Pic and story of first kill....

I think I experienced a lifetime of hunting in 15 minutes tonight. After watching a small spike buck around our corn for three weeks I got him tonight.

About last light, having not seen a deer in the past two days,I was leaning forward in my stand letting the harness hold me up just hoping ANYTHING came walking by. The way I sitting I could see under the tree line of the cut-out trails so I knew I could see legs walking up the trail from either direction. Out of nowhere, bow sitting on the stand next to me and totally unprepared, our small buck hopped out of the trees right in front of me. We had a stare-off for about 20 seconds and I was surehe'd busted me. Suddenly, he flicked his tail and went about his business of eating and scratching. With my heart pounding and both eyes on him I slowly got my bow, luckily I had an arrow nocked, and moved inch by inch as slow as I could everytime he turned to scratch or move around. It seemed like an eternity keeping my eyes on him and freezing every few seconds trying to get my release onto the d-loop. Same process to stand up in a squeaky treestand. I was able to hold the bow behind my cover limbs as I stood frozen waiting for him to move around and when he did I drew, and it was the hardest draw I've had to make with my bow. I've shot a hundred in the yard and still wasn't as worn out from the adrenalin rush this was giving me.As soon as I had the bow drawn and after fumbling to find my anchor points and the sight in the peep, the buck turned, leaving me only a quartering away shot. I held the draw for about a minute and half and was at the point where I was going to let it down and he turned for a clean broadside shot, which I took.

I missed one important detail, I lowered my arms to sight instead of bending my waist. I shot high and spined him. He dropped instantly and began crying and I couldn't get out of the stand fast enough to get to him. He was down and trying to lift up on his front feet and I knew I couldn't let him suffer so when he lifted enough to give me a good shot I made it count and double lunged him.

This is a small spike buck that weighed 80lbs. We've been watching him for three weeks on the cam and it took alot of thought to take this deer. After three weeks we'd grown accustomed to seeing him and liked seeing his pics. But, we also knew that this deer stood little chance after two weeks because dog hunters would be in the woods and they kill whatever runs out regardless. I decided that I'd take the first opportunity I had and I did. It wasn't perfect but it was done. I'm done hunting for the next two weeks now. He's the only buck we've seen and bow season is buck only. I have no desire to look for another, I've accomplished my goal. From here out it's does for food and antlers for the wall. Unless I want to mount them, bucks will walk and I'll only take enough does for us to have food, probably two a season. This is the best pic of him, by no means huge, but within the law and I got him.

First bowkill AND first deer.......

Old 09-02-2007, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Pic and story of first kill....

Congratulations!!!

One never forgets "first-blood", there is something special about it!!!
Old 09-02-2007, 09:32 PM
Fork Horn

Way cool

Good Job

Old 09-02-2007, 09:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations on your first deer. There aren't many people take their first deer with a bow. I would bet most start bow hunting after taking a few with a gun first.

Sounds like you will remember that trophy for a lifetime.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:44 PM
Fork Horn

beezer,congratulations was this your first deer you have ever shot with a bow........Ted
Old 09-02-2007, 09:44 PM
Fork Horn

congrats on the first kill. now you're addicted
Old 09-02-2007, 09:46 PM
Fork Horn

sorry beezer on asking if it was your first deer I was'nt paying attention to the subject,GOOD JOB MAN..........Ted
Old 09-02-2007, 09:49 PM
Typical Buck

beezer awesomd deal son..........way cool......first deer with a bow........but I think it is time foe Matt/pa to repost on how to take a picck and be proud of it......it seems we all need a refresher this time of year..what you say Matt.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:49 PM
Typical Buck

I do have to admit that there is a stoy behind this that makes it so much more special to me. Our bow season opened yesterday, Sept. 1st. I was in the stand at 6am. It was one year ago, on Sept. 1st at 5:30am I got a call from my mother telling me my brother-in-law had been killed in a car accident on his way home from work. Ironically, it was caused by a deer. He was a deer hunter and loved deer as much as he loved to hunt them.

I got into hunting because he was supposed to take my son. It would probably have been this season. I've hunted since Thanksgiving last year because my son wanted to hunt. We took a turkey our first season and now we have a deer. I was hoping for the first to be on Sept. 1st but I think it brightened up my niece and sister's day to hear about this one. Like I said, it isn't big and it wasn't perfect, but it has a place in my heart. And that little buck is going to have a place for his European mount on my son's bedroom wall.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Beezer

I do have to admit that there is a stoy behind this that makes it so much more special to me. Our bow season opened yesterday, Sept. 1st. I was in the stand at 6am. It was one year ago, on Sept. 1st at 5:30am I got a call from my mother telling me my brother-in-law had been killed in a car accident on his way home from work. Ironically, it was caused by a deer. He was a deer hunter and loved deer as much as he loved to hunt them.

I got into hunting because he was supposed to take my son. It would probably have been this season. I've hunted since Thanksgiving last year because my son wanted to hunt. We took a turkey our first season and now we have a deer. I was hoping for the first to be on Sept. 1st but I think it brightened up my niece and sister's day to hear about this one. Like I said, it isn't big and it wasn't perfect, but it has a place in my heart. And that little buck is going to have a place for his European mount on my son's bedroom wall.
And thats what makes a trophy, a trophy indeed.

Nice work Beezer, Congrats!

Quick Reply: Pic and story of first kill....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.