Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunting around a full moon a waste of time? >

Hunting around a full moon a waste of time?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting around a full moon a waste of time?

Old 11-09-2003, 04:54 PM
TWC

Default RE: Hunting around a full moon a waste of time?

I was out pheasant huntin this mornin and seen plenty of deer. Darn near stepped on one doe. She was bedded down in some CRP and didn' t move till I got past her. She was only 20 feet away. Really confused the dogs though. They didn' t wether to chase birds or chase deer. One of those moments where I wish I could afford a shock collar. Need to go back next year and get permission to bow hunt this property, seen a couple of pretty respectable bucks.
Old 11-09-2003, 05:52 PM
CPA

I saw 4 different bucks from my stand the last two mornings and the biggest walked by at two yds but my buck tag is already filled. I was working in the yard this afternoon when a relly nice 10 pt went running throught the backyard. I have heard that morning and mid-day are better during a full moon. My local connections are seeing a lot of bucks during the last week.
Old 11-09-2003, 10:29 PM

3 bucks and 4 doe tonight shot at 2 of the bucks (stories in anothe post) most deer i' ve seen since season opended so i don;t know if moon= no deer for this place
Old 11-09-2003, 10:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Full moon usually means no deer sightings during legal shooting hours. Well, as we all know, deer are great at pissing you off and doing the unexpected. We were at the property all weekend with a full moon and zero clouds. Past two evenings going to the property for the night hunt, we saw deer out in almost every field we passed around 3p. While on stand Sat & Sun, I saw 15 deer, most of which were out well before sunset. (Of course, since I had the bow, they were all within gun range!!!!) Note: this usually doesn' t happen during a full moon from my experience at our property. Sometimes, I hate deer.
Old 11-10-2003, 07:49 AM

I hunted all weekend and saw ONE deer, which was a small doe!!! I think the rut is SLOWLY coming into play here in SW Ohio. There are rubs/scrapes all over the woods, so I think it is a matter of time before it kicks in. I hope so, my nerves can' t take much more of this!!!!
Old 11-10-2003, 08:52 AM
Dominant Buck

If you don' t go you won' t see ' em.[:-] Saw a few this AM. Saturday we saw a bunch and one guy hunting with us shot a big 10 point. The rut is just fixing to get going in earnest here.
Old 11-10-2003, 08:55 AM
Typical Buck

you can' t shoot a deer shile sitting at home!!!!!

Get out there
Old 11-10-2003, 09:06 AM
Fork Horn

I saw over 10 deer on Sat. in a place so thick you are lucky if you just see 1... I had deer all around me all day long... It was one of the best times in the woods I can remember...
Old 11-10-2003, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I saw a lot of young deer this weekend and I hunted hard. It seems the mature deer were moving at night or were just better than me. I don' t like the full moon but I hunt when I can.
Old 11-10-2003, 09:24 AM
Fork Horn

Last evening saw one doe being chased by 5 bucks, around 4pm. Then two more bucks appeared after 4:30pm. Have been seing more in the morning till around 11am. They are in the first part of the RUT here and are moving regardless what is going on.