Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I' m close!  Move my stand? >

I' m close! Move my stand?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I' m close! Move my stand?

Old 11-03-2003, 10:29 AM

Default I' m close! Move my stand?

I had a buddy do some scouting with me this past Sunday and we found a GREAT funnel. There is a logging trail with two secondary trails that lead through a fence into a thicket and one other secondary trail on the opposite side of the two trails that head through the fence.

I got in there early this morning and I could hear a lot of action to my north west where the swamp meets the thicket area. It is only 50 yards or so but it is far enough that I couldn' t see anything.

I did notice some nice new tracks since I has walked in roughly 60 yards from where my stand was and close to the swamp.

I' m going to head back in on Wed morning and then finish the week with a morning and evening hunt on Sat. I' d really like to get a deer before rifle season starts in 2 weeks.

Should I sit tight or move closer to where the " action" was. There are a ton of tracks in and around the swamp where I heard the deer although the funnel area I' m set up in has strong trails and two HUGE scrapes about 20 yards down the trail from me. My stand is easier to get to without bumping deer too.

And the leaves were wet this morning so I was silent walking in and the wind was blowing from where i heard the deer to me.

Thanks
Old 11-03-2003, 10:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: I' m close! Move my stand?

Well deer are notoriuos for not using the same trails every day, I would stick where you are at for a few more days and if you still get no action then move in case they are using where you are set up at night.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:07 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: I' m close! Move my stand?

I don' t hunt the same spot more than a couple times. I NEVER look back at the spot I left saying I should have stayed put. I may come back to it next week or next month or next year. BUT, if I really see the activity somewhere else and I can figure out WHY(like thicker, cover ore food) I' ll move in a heartbeat. I plan on killing a deer or choosing NOT to the first time I go in. Stay mobile, stay positive and don' t second guess yourself. It' s hunting, not second guessing. Move and have fun, ..... and then move again. So many trees.... so little time. Sometimes a move may only be 20 or 30 yards.