Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 TIP: Don't move much while on-stand. >

TIP: Don't move much while on-stand.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

TIP: Don't move much while on-stand.

Old 11-15-2006, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default TIP: Don't move much while on-stand.

Here's some good advice that I haven't seen rehashed yet this season.

Keep still. It makes for a sore stiff hunter, but it's really important.
Motion can be seen a long way off; a lot further than you can hear footsteps. I think many hunters get busted because they were seen before they even know there was a deer nearby. The deer goes the other way and the hunter gets convinced there are no deer in the woods.

Make sure you cover your face and wear dark or camo gloves, since these two parts of your body do the majority of the moving.

One very useful technique is to scan with your eyes. It allows you to be aware of your surroundings looking for deer, but not be noticed. Move your head in one direction, and keep it there while you scan your whole field of vision without moving your head. Then move your head to another angle and scan again. You should be able to scan about 90 degrees at a time, and with 3 head turns, you can see everything for 270 degrees without moving any other parts of your body.
This provides much less noticable motion than simply turning your head every few seconds. I've watched new hunters from my stand turning their heads often and almost never seeming to be still.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:29 PM

Default RE: TIP: Don't move much while on-stand.

Solid advice to reiterate to new hunters.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd like to add...When you see a deer, or hear one approaching...Don't move...Evaluate the situation...Is this the deer that you want to kill??? During the rut...is it a doe?? Are her rear hocks black?? If they are, there might be a buck trailing her...Also if it is a doe, look around her...he might be off to one side, if you can, slowly raise your binoculars and check the surrounding area...When you decide that this is the deer that you want to take, wait until the deer can't see you and slowly get your weapon ready and then wait until the deer gives you a good clean killing shot....I have tracked too many deer that the guy just pulled up his gun and shot too quickly, when the deer was undisturbed, and they could have waited until a better shot opportunity presented itself....If you don't get a shot, big deal, you had a successful hunt, by just observing a beautiful animal...

I would also say, does don't usually travel alone...Button bucks will, and bucks certainly will...So, if it is a doe, be careful, because you can probably bet that she has others with her, and they are looking for you as well...

Finally...If you are rifle hunting, have your stand set up so that you have a good rest...All of us are better shots with a rest...
Old 11-15-2006, 02:46 PM
Typical Buck

Great advice.
If you can,get 100 yards or sofrom your stand and observe it, you'll be surprised to see how you can stand out.
Deer see movement and any will cause them to bolt if they realize what you are.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

When you see a deer, or hear one approaching...Don't move...Evaluate the situation...Is this the deer that you want to kill???
I agree. Freeze first,and evaluate quickly. Not only will this give you a few seconds to decide if this is the deer you want, but you will also gain a moment to detect the movements of additional deer in the area. Even if you want to take the first deer. that extra set of unseen eyes is the one that will spot you and ruin your shot while you were concentrating on the one you saw first.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

also if at close range and a deer sees you dont move and dont look into there eyes they can sence life when you move your eyes just pick a tree or a bush or a spot on the deer and stare but this is only if they catch you off gaurd i have had this happen 5 times with the same doe and 2 fawns ( i hunt from the ground with my bow most the time) and everytime she will bob her head and look at me then realize im not a threat and they will just walk off.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Add to that selecting a big tree to hang or climb in if you can. You won't be sticking out like a sore thumb, and any movement you DO make might not be as easily noticed if it has a fat tree as a backdrop. But yes, keep movement to an absolute minimum, particularly when the leaves are wet, or wind is blowing, crows calling or squirrels running around, etc. because deer can be closeby without your knowing it and movement will send them packing in a hurry or have them lockup looking at you with no opportunity to get and/or aim the weapon at it.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

I agree and good advice. I think sometimes hunters get complacent on stand. Especially after sitting for hours and hours. Keep the motions limited. Make sure you're dressed properly for the hunt and comfortable. That will aid in the fidgeting.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:57 PM

I'm going to have to say this is the truest statement when it comes to hunting i have heard yet...the second year i went deer hunting every deer i saw came from behind, or out of really thick under brush.

and one time that same year I accidentally dosed off for 4 mins in the treestand (gun was on a rest and i was in a tree harness) as soon as i opend my eyes the first thing i saw was an old doe walking about 35 yards ahead of me...I reached for my gun and as soon as i moved my arm it saw me and took off.

another tip...never fall asleep when your hunting.

Old 11-15-2006, 07:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

she will bob her head and look at me then realize im not a threat
Sorry to hear that Cowboy.

never fall asleep when your hunting.
Oops. [:@]
One guy I met told me about a time he woke up to find a small scrape within 10 yards of his stand that hadn't been there when he nodded off.

Quick Reply: TIP: Don't move much while on-stand.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.