Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Pie Bald doe to shoot or not? >

Pie Bald doe to shoot or not?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Pie Bald doe to shoot or not?

Old 10-26-2003, 05:15 PM

Default Pie Bald doe to shoot or not?

Last season I saw a pie bald doe several different times. Passed up, because she was only a yearling. I havnt seen her this season, but I know she made it through last years season. My neighbor (anti-hunters) told me they have seen her this past week. If I see her while hunting do you think I should shoot or let her walk? Would like some other hunters input. Thanks..
Old 10-26-2003, 05:26 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Pie Bald doe to shoot or not?

I' d let her walk, seeing as how this will be her first year, she will probably produce some cool lookin offspring...that is only if you know that no one else would take her...
Old 10-26-2003, 06:14 PM

There was this really cool looking piebald deer that my neighbors kept an eye on. It was neat to see here walking around, mainly cause you new where she was going and spending her time, cause she was the only one that looked like her. I passed her up every season. The last time was the opener of archery 2 years ago. Had a perfect broadside shot at 20 yards. She was 3.5 years, and big.

Well, to say the least, there wasn' t any snow on the groud durring rifle season, and some dic from the city shot her running. I found her a month later, laying in a thicket, or at least what was left of her.

I should have taken the shot, but i didn' t know there wouldn' t be any snow.

Old 10-26-2003, 06:45 PM

I' ll shoot a piebald deer if one ever chooses to stroll past me .

Don' t think I' d shoot a true albino though. Bad medicine.

Tyler
Old 10-26-2003, 07:27 PM
Spike

I shot a piebald button buck a few years ago. The piebald gene is not good for the herd. The albinos are normal deer without melanin, but the piebalds can get (and can pass on) short legs, scoliosis and a ton of other problems. Shoot her before she breeds.
Old 10-26-2003, 07:34 PM
Dominant Buck

I agree with mddittman. Everything I' ve read says they' re genetically inferior and do nothing for the herd. I watched one for 3 years. The third year I said she' d finally gotten enough meat on her to shoot. I' d passed up numerous slam dunks on her the first two years. She was a SHORTY. Anyway, if I got the shot with the bow I was going to take it the 3rd year. I never got it. I never saw her after the gun season came in. Someone must have whacked her. I had another running in my back yard for a couple years. SHORTY also, and way below the size of their sisters.
Old 10-26-2003, 08:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Read my post on the almost-white fox squirrel from this morning, and you' ll know the answer to that one!
Old 10-26-2003, 11:10 PM
Spike

I shot a piebald doe 3yrs ago with the gun.their pretty deer.i got her tanned.
Old 10-27-2003, 01:32 AM
Typical Buck

Hi guys!

I would shoot her if given the chance. As some of the others stated, they have a possibilty of carrying harmful genetic traits for the local herd. On top of that, it' s just plain wrong to afford an animal a special status because of the color of their pelt. I read an article by Ted Nugent that dealt with this very issue. Old " uncle" Ted, regardless if you agree with everything he says, made a good point about piebalds and albinos. He said that once you start saying it' s wrong to shoot an animal because of it' s color, where do you draw the line? You are affording a " specialness" ,for lack of a better word, because you somehow feel differntly about it because its a " rare" color. This kind of thinking will take you right down the road of the disney films portrayal of animals. A deer whether it' s white, black, big or small, is still just an animal. In fact she is an inferior animal because the offspring she produces are not as likely to survive to adulthood, than that of a normal, healthy doe. If you want to protect a deer that will help the health of your herd, let a few yearling bucks walk. In most cases the buck to doe ratio is out of whack. By letting a young buck walk, you increase the chances that more does will get bred in the next year, and the bucks who work themselves to death trying to breed every single one of them, can get the job done quicker and then turn their attention to regaining strength for the coming winter.

If you normally don' t shoot does, for whatever reason, then you could pass her up, as you would any other doe that came along. If you would normally take a doe, then by all means take her if given the chance. These are just my opinions. You need to do what your comfortable with, not what I or anyone else say you should do. In the end, you' re the one who will be kneeling beside the expired animal, coming to grips with what you' ve just done.

GH
Old 10-27-2003, 02:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would , Just look at the piebald close compared to another deer. They are usually shorter,stumpy and run like a pixie. I watched one last year run with a herd of 6 brown deer.It was always in the rear.Its little legs were going 1000MPH to keep up. And I also noticed the other deer seemed to not like it much.They were always kicking it. Never got a shot on that deer,but a truck run it over on purpose.

Quick Reply: Pie Bald doe to shoot or not?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.