Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Pie Bald doe to shoot or not? >

Pie Bald doe to shoot or not?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Pie Bald doe to shoot or not?

Old 10-27-2003, 04:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Pie Bald doe to shoot or not?

Personally I would take it
Old 10-27-2003, 05:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would take it too if I had the chance.
Old 10-27-2003, 06:29 AM

There' s a pie bald doe in the woods I' m hunting. Saw her a few times over the summer. If she comes by I' m definitely shooting. I want to tan the hide.
Old 10-27-2003, 09:40 AM
Fork Horn

I would take her.. I actually took a piebald 11 pointer a few years back. I had watched him for 3 years but never got a shot. He has some offspring running around that look like they could be his twin except for their headgear!

I have nothing but enjoyment from the memory I have of taking him, not to mention how well he looks on my wall!! I would like to find a piebald doe to mount to go with him.
Old 10-27-2003, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shot a nice piebald 2 or 3 years ago. All white except for a brown head and a small light brown spot on one shoulder. I carefully skinned her after taking some pictures, but made the mistake of washing the skin to remove the blood and then not taking it immediately to the taxidermist. When I did make the trip a day or two later, it was too late and he couldn' t save the skin (the hair was falling out as he fleshed it out). [:' (] I learned a hard lesson then and won' t make that mistake again. At least I got some nice pictures.
Old 10-27-2003, 11:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Absolutely shooting if one walks by me...I exclusively hunted a piebald doe several seasons ago. I had her in but just not right about 5 times then she disappeared for good. I never heard what happened to her. She appeared like a ghost and gone again and with all the white she had, it was amazing.

This year we have another on our lease....the camera was rolling so I was going to take her even though she was a fawn....good meat and wanted her out of the herd however upon closer inspection, she was a he, a small button buck so we' ll let him have his first set of antlers next season if he makes it through the lead slingers and take him next season.
Old 10-27-2003, 11:50 AM
Typical Buck

The piebald gene is not good for the herd. The albinos are normal deer without melanin, but the piebalds can get (and can pass on) short legs, scoliosis and a ton of other problems
You guys have this backward, its the albinos that pass on bad genes, not the piebald. Piebalds are just deer with a different color. And for the record Id shoot one in a heart beat.
Old 10-27-2003, 11:56 AM

I agree with Buckshot,

I don' t recall reading any info stating piebalds carry harmfull genes.

The ones I have seen sure looked fine to me
Old 10-27-2003, 08:03 PM
Spike

Buckshot,

Here is an article from the Maryland DNR regarding the defects of the piebald:

Piebald Anomaly
Old 10-28-2003, 07:15 AM
Typical Buck

Thats the first time Ive every seen anything stating that Piebalds are geneticly inferior, all the articles Ive read stated pretty much the same thing about albino deer.

Quick Reply: Pie Bald doe to shoot or not?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.