Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Looking for input from bowhunters >

Looking for input from bowhunters

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Looking for input from bowhunters

Old 01-13-2017, 03:52 AM
Typical Buck

Default Looking for input from bowhunters

We are looking to this community of bowhunters to provide input as to a fair price point for a broadhead target we are currently prototyping. Currently we are considering local markets due to the large size (40" x 35" x 20" and 28 Lbs) so shipping would be pretty steep. These targets are made from layered ethafoam in varying densities from 1.7 to 4 Lbs sq/ft as well as a rubber core.

Below are 2 videos detailing the particulars about the targets, please watch and provide input as to a fair price point while we ponder what to name them. We have more than enough local testers (plus we are shooting them) so we are not looking for product testers. We know what our costs are but if the fair MSRP point does not leave much margin there is no point in taking it further.

Thanks for your help.

Old 01-13-2017, 04:52 AM
Fork Horn

Well my cube was $39 and I get a full year out of it usually before it starts letting arrows over penetrate. I would think somewhere in that ballpark would be right if you can get that much use out of it. I use broadhead and fieldpoint on mine. I generally shoot around 50 arrows a week avg some more some less depending on work load. so if it can take around 2500 mixed shots. Just a rough guestimate, but I prob shoot field point 10-1 over broadheads. So around 250 of those would be broadhead impacts, but if I change broadheads or test new broadheads it could be a lot more. I recently picked up a shooting bag for field points after shooting a buddies bag and seeing how much easier retrieving arrows from the bag was over the cube so I could see that letting the broadhead box last a lot longer.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:08 AM
Typical Buck

How big is your cube? Is it 40 x 35 x 20? Or is it 1/4 of the size of the one Ive shown? Realestate = target life by providing more surface area to shoot out to spread out the shots. Are you able to shoot all 6 sides of your cube? Some cube type targets don't allow for all 6 sides to be used. We are 3 years into one of our early prototypes. It sits outside year round. We do not want to make a one season (year) target. We hope to make one that can be used for many years rather than buying a new target every year.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:02 AM
Fork Horn

pretty sure its a 24" cube. 3 years is pretty good especially since most hunters don't shoot year round anyone that does knows how much you can hammer a target in an actual year of shooting instead of 3 week before season and 3 week during most seasons. Its 2 side for BH the rest for FP. Personally I don't want to lug around or store anything bigger then that. But I could see where the bigger target would get more life. Honestly If I was you I would go to the local arch shops and see what they are charging for simliar products. I understand you want the consumer direct opinion as well. My Gdad used to say there is a butt for every seat. So one hunter may be willing to spend $130 for a target like the big ones at the shop I use, but I'm not. I'll spend my money on the 3d stuff and just drop $40 on another cube that fits my need.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:10 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the input. Agreed, not everybody want or needs such a big target. Most of the bowhunters we discussed this with dont move a target once its placed. They sit in the same spot. Some may put them away or cover them but the minority transports them to other locations. We tried to do comparables to other products but there are not a lot of huge broadhead targets on the market (mostly due to shipping costs for freight) so most are tiny in the 18 x 18 x 18 or 24 x 24 x 24 size.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:16 AM
Typical Buck

May be stupid question but is 6 usable sides a correct statement? I know other manufactures in the past have claimed the same thing but my experience is when one side is "shot" out the back side is also "shot" out.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:55 AM
Typical Buck

Yes, all six sides. What you describe comes from tiny targets.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure I would want a block style target that big. Would be hard to store it conveniently when not using.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:13 AM
Fork Horn

I'd buy one. I usually use the Morrell Yellow Jacket broadhead targets. They run $60, and they're not even a 24" cube. I'd definitely pay more for more real estate to shoot at, but I couldn't really throw out a number without getting my hands on one. I do kind of obsess about broadhead tuning, so I probably fling more broadheads at a target than the average bowhunter.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:53 AM
Spike

2 years with the 18 n 1, but5 it is getting pretty shot up and is starting to lose chunks...Ive lost 3 sets of the Muzzy Phantom SC blades in it...Those SC's have a serious blade retention problem !! they were very disappointing to say the least......I'm going back to Slick Mags/Standards or am going to try the Exodus....

Last edited by Wilson12051978; 08-09-2017 at 06:00 PM.