Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Very disappointed in one of my stand locations. >

Very disappointed in one of my stand locations.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Very disappointed in one of my stand locations.

Old 10-24-2003, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Very disappointed in one of my stand locations.

Back a few weeks before archery season I set up a stand in what I thought would be the textbook deer funnel. It is a strip of hardwoods bout 200 yards long and it surrounded on 2 sides by a three year old cutover, 1 side by a small stand of new growth pines which is very thick and the other side by semi open pine plantation. I took a doe from this stand on opening weekend, but have yet to even see another deer since. I had my game camera out for two weeks on what looked to be the major trail going through this area, but did not have one single picture on it. This area is mostly pine plantation and/or cutover with this area being one of the very few areas that has any acorns. I certainly thought this would turn out to be a really hot stand, but so far it has been a big disappointment. Any suggestions?
Old 10-24-2003, 12:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Very disappointed in one of my stand locations.

I have the same delima. Opening day, the stand I thought would be the best produced a good doe, Since I have seen little to nothing. It is in the ideal location. I think this weekend im going to stay on the ground and work the canyons.
Old 10-26-2003, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

bump. anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 10-26-2003, 06:55 PM

Maybe give the stand a week or so to calm down. I have the same situation here. It is a small creek that runs up to some oak trees that I spotlight and see deer in all the time. I had my camera set up most of the summer on the main trail. I have never gone through so much film in a year. Every week all the pictures were taken. I even had all 24 pics shot in 2 days. Every day there were pics in the morning and then at night, all day time pics. This trail was so hot I decided to hang a stand 6 weeks early and leave it alone until archery season. So far I' ve seen a doe and her fawn and one tiny 8 point so far. Only the 8 point came into shooting range. I don' t know what happened. I' ve hunted it about 4 times so far all in the morning. The 8 point came by Saturday morning after not hunting it for over a week. My next evening hunt will be there. Maybe they stopped using it in the morning and hopefully are still using it at night.