Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Stand locations

Old 10-14-2007, 11:23 AM

Default Stand locations

I haven't had much luck this season so far, so I thought I would try and get a little help from some of the experts on here! I have a couple of doe tags as well as two any sex tags. As always, I was hoping to score on a doe early on in the season and then concentrate my efforts going after a buck once late October and November rolls around. Well for the second straight year, I havenot filled my doe tag in the early part of the season. So my question is, where are the best stand locations in the early part of the season. I have concentrated most of my efforts within the timber along well used trails. I have seen very few deer so far this fall. I had four 1 1/2 year old bucks underneath my stand early in September, and passed on those. I haven't seen a single doe while hunting yet this year, and I think it is due to my stand placements. Do most people hunt along field edges in the early part of the year. Should I stay out of the timber until the rut approaches? I really enjoy just being in the outdoors, but I am starting to get pretty frustrated by not seeing any deer at all. Any suggestions?
Old 10-14-2007, 11:25 AM

Default RE: Stand locations

Well doe will follow the trails that are man madde and big like for four wheeling early in the season. Bucks will walk the smaller trails that are in the brush more. This is what i know about the deer around here.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:32 AM

I killed my doe first day of season on the edge of a cut cornfield. had over 20 does in the field and a 4 buck bachelor group even after she dropped 20 yds from my stand.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

In the early season you definitely want to key in on the edges of fields and pastures. Early morning is best for does i have found. You can catch them coming out of the fields into the bedding areas.