Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broadheads

Old 08-25-2016, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Broadheads

Why does it seem like so many people are constantly searching for different broadheads?

What kind of problems are people having with simple straight forward broadheads thunderhead,muzzy,montec,slick trick etc.?

What is it these simple heads are not doing for you?

I mean I have shot a LOT of deer with these simple broadheads and I don't ever recall thinking "I sure wish I had a better broadhead" they work pretty great for me.

Last edited by rockport; 08-25-2016 at 07:57 PM.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sometimes, while what we have works, there comes along something that may work just a smidge better. Like the conversation you and I were having about the Viper Tricks. My Standard slick tricks have served me well for several years. But those Vipers just MIGHT be that little smidge better. Might fly just a touch better, may leave just that 1/8" bigger hole that may bisect a vein that the standards may have just missed. I personally like to stay in the loop with new broadhead technology and I like to use the absolute best broadhead that matches my style of shooting and my bows speeds.
Old 08-26-2016, 04:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Sometimes, while what we have works, there comes along something that may work just a smidge better. Like the conversation you and I were having about the Viper Tricks. My Standard slick tricks have served me well for several years. But those Vipers just MIGHT be that little smidge better. Might fly just a touch better, may leave just that 1/8" bigger hole that may bisect a vein that the standards may have just missed. I personally like to stay in the loop with new broadhead technology and I like to use the absolute best broadhead that matches my style of shooting and my bows speeds.
From my experience it really isn't very often something comes along that really works better. It does happen and Ive made changes myself but for me it has always been minor tweaks to the same simple design. I mean there are minor changes that give you better flight out of a faster bow, more penetration from a slower bow etc. Its more the reinvention of the wheel I'm talking about.

Ive seen so many deer lost because of some of these new radical designs.

I'm not saying never adjust or make changes but I like to stay within the basic simple design that has worked great for a very long time.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:22 AM
Typical Buck

Some people just like to experiment with new things. A new broadhead may be the same, marginally better, or even worse than what they've used in the past, but they won't know for certain until they try.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
From my experience it really isn't very often something comes along that really works better. It does happen and Ive made changes myself but for me it has always been minor tweaks to the same simple design. I mean there are minor changes that give you better flight out of a faster bow, more penetration from a slower bow etc. Its more the reinvention of the wheel I'm talking about.

Ive seen so many deer lost because of some of these new radical designs.

I'm not saying never adjust or make changes but I like to stay within the basic simple design that has worked great for a very long time.
AHHHHH so I see said the blind man You're talking about all these radical broadheads coming out nowadays like with cutting rings and such. Gimmic stuff usually.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
AHHHHH so I see said the blind man You're talking about all these radical broadheads coming out nowadays like with cutting rings and such. Gimmic stuff usually.
Yeah pretty much......and really I'm just trying to understand it as Ive really never had any problems with simple broadheads.

I'm just curious what kinds of problems people are seeking to fix.

Flight is the only problem Ive really had and that has been easily remedied.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:53 AM
Fork Horn

Word of mouth goes pretty far! Been using swacker heads for the longest and a buddy of mine told me about the muzzy heads. I switched over and am glad I did. They fly better & from what he's told me, goes through bone and leaves one hell of a hole.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BrushyPines
Word of mouth goes pretty far! Been using swacker heads for the longest and a buddy of mine told me about the muzzy heads. I switched over and am glad I did. They fly better & from what he's told me, goes through bone and leaves one hell of a hole.
Good choice, those schwackers are one of the worst designed broadheads ever IMO. Prone to not getting a pass through and designed not to open on impact is a terrible combination.

Which muzzy did you go with?
Old 08-27-2016, 06:06 AM
Fork Horn

Everything that can be invented has been invented./QUOTE]
- Charles Dwell US patent attorney 1898.

Companies are in the business to sell products. They bring these products to Market through the use of advertisements and marketing. Obviously they make every product look Superior to existing products. Some maybe. Is the Muzzys tocar better than the Mx? Are the Thunderhead razors better than the original? What about the Slick Trick line.

I always thought the purpose of this forum, was not to constantly look for something better. But rather have normal people without a rooting interest, share experiences so all could gain knowledge. If we don't test and share experiences, we're left only with our individual experiences or to believe exactly all the marketing hype.

We can simply post a fact sheet, close the Forum, and say this is how it's done. However, companies will not stop bringing new products to market, research and development and innovation. We must test and share experiences, hence the review name of the section.

Tried-and-true products are the standard. But it's always interesting to test different broadheads, bullets, etc... and get feedback from people with no rooting interest.
Old 08-27-2016, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

I used a fixed blade muzzy all the time previously and don't remember which model... Three years ago I switched to a rage hypodermic just to see and was really impressed. It's accounted for two massive blood trails now.. I'll keep using the hypodermics until they give me a reason not to. I had no problems with the muzzy, just wanted to try a mechanical...
-Jake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.