Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broadheads

Old 08-27-2016, 01:18 PM
Fork Horn

I swapped to mechs a couple of seasons ago and this season switched back to Slick Tricks.

I just like the simple fact they last a lot longer for me.
Old 08-27-2016, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
I used a fixed blade muzzy all the time previously and don't remember which model... Three years ago I switched to a rage hypodermic just to see and was really impressed. It's accounted for two massive blood trails now.. I'll keep using the hypodermics until they give me a reason not to. I had no problems with the muzzy, just wanted to try a mechanical...
-Jake
They will work great until you hit something hard on the exit(far shoulder)
Old 08-27-2016, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rockport
They will work great until you hit something hard on the exit(far shoulder)
What do you shoot rockport?
-Jake
Old 08-27-2016, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
What do you shoot rockport?
-Jake
Mostly Thunderhead razors/nightmares but I'll shoot about any quality simple fixed head....Slick trick,muzzy,montec etc,etc

Ive had some trouble with flight on some muzzy models, and I won't shoot the grizztrick as its to big much like a mechanical.

Right now thunderhead razors/older nightmares, and viper tricks are in my quiver but I just ordered some Muzzy Trocar because they are offset like the razors but $25 instead of $40

Last edited by rockport; 08-27-2016 at 04:00 PM.
Old 08-27-2016, 06:08 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Kathwacckkk
Everything that can be invented has been invented./QUOTE]
- Charles Dwell US patent attorney 1898.

Companies are in the business to sell products. They bring these products to Market through the use of advertisements and marketing. Obviously they make every product look Superior to existing products. Some maybe. Is the Muzzys tocar better than the Mx? Are the Thunderhead razors better than the original? What about the Slick Trick line.

I always thought the purpose of this forum, was not to constantly look for something better. But rather have normal people without a rooting interest, share experiences so all could gain knowledge. If we don't test and share experiences, we're left only with our individual experiences or to believe exactly all the marketing hype.

We can simply post a fact sheet, close the Forum, and say this is how it's done. However, companies will not stop bringing new products to market, research and development and innovation. We must test and share experiences, hence the review name of the section.

Tried-and-true products are the standard. But it's always interesting to test different broadheads, bullets, etc... and get feedback from people with no rooting interest.
Couldn't of said it better, it is thought provoking to examine others experiences and determine if their results are worth trying to reproduce. If we didn't experiment we would still be spear hunting and fishing! Love my mechanicals.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:20 AM
Fork Horn

At one point in time rifled barrels were probably seen as a gimmick. Gotta keep weeding through the snake oil to find the real winners, but it is fun to see the results others get.
I shot the NAP Killzones last year with super short blood trails, switched to Easton Injexions with the Deep Six inserts and NAP Blood Runners this year. Why? Because I can #Murica
Old 08-29-2016, 05:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

NAP Spitfire Maxx... been shooting them for years.. no problems. Fly great. tear a big hole.
Very reliable.
Old 09-02-2016, 05:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I must not have been very clear about what I am asking in my OP.

I'm not against new ideas or trying new things providing it is based on sound logic.

I'm asking what experiences have led people to think it is sound logic to trade penetration for bigger holes because my experience tells me just the opposite

Every year I help at least one person try to recover a lost deer due to lack of penetration by a overly large broadhead and read/hear about many, many more and never once because a broadhead passed through the vitals but wasn't big enough.

I'm trying to wrap my head around the logic and "because I can" doesn't help me do that.

What experiences have led you to the conclusion that you needed a bigger hole and less penetration?

Last edited by rockport; 09-02-2016 at 05:02 AM.
Old 09-02-2016, 05:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Kathwacckkk
Everything that can be invented has been invented./QUOTE]
- Charles Dwell US patent attorney 1898.

Companies are in the business to sell products. They bring these products to Market through the use of advertisements and marketing. Obviously they make every product look Superior to existing products. Some maybe. Is the Muzzys tocar better than the Mx? Are the Thunderhead razors better than the original? What about the Slick Trick line.
Actually yes they are.

Compound bows have advanced dramatically leaving broadhead flight with room for improvement. Muzzy and NAP have addressed this with offset blades causing them to fly much better out of modern high performance bows. Slick trick has done this by going with 4 smaller blades which is also successful at getting improved flight from modern high performance bows. Now not everybody has a modern or high performance bow which makes the older designs relevant still.

Slick trick also has many variations based on specific needs/animals. Some designed for slower bows or bigger animals to improve penetration and some designed for faster bows and/or smaller animals.

These are logically sound tweaks on a tried,true,and proven design based on the reasoning I have given.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I started using 3 blade Rocky Mountains in the mid 70s when they came on the market. Me & my bowhunting family all use them due to the fact I think they are great AND I managed to buy a ton of them at a super price direct JUST b/4 they sold the Co.. 40+ years now & many assorted biggame has been taken by us over those years.. No plans on changing.
Attached Thumbnails Broadheads-1collagecolor.jpg   Broadheads-hunt17.jpg   Broadheads-hunt31.jpg   Broadheads-jsboo.jpg   Broadheads-hunt87.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.