Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Why mush it be big to Mount it? >

Why mush it be big to Mount it?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why mush it be big to Mount it?

Old 02-04-2002, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Why mush it be big to Mount it?

I've mounted oodles of my racks on plaques, but have never had a deer head mounted.

I killed a nice black bear 3 years ago. I had a rug made out of it. It is beautiful. Two years ago I killed another bear, and my cousin had a rug made out of it.

This year I killed a small black bear boar. (140 pounds) I had a full mount made of it. It wasn't the bear I wanted when I went hunting...but it is a beautiful animal. To be honest, I was disappointed in the animal at first. However, I know it's not the size of the animal...it's the amount of work you put into it and the amount of fun you have on the hunt.

If I work my tail off to kill a spike and another fella shoots a 12 point 25 yards from his truck...which is the greater trophy???
Old 02-04-2002, 08:45 AM
Typical Buck

Because they cost $400 and they take up a lot of space! I go for a PY or better every year and if I accomplish my goal every year,and I mount every one, by the time I retire I will have close to 40 deer heads in my house!!! Only the biggest will get the full head and shoulder mount...the rest will get the European mount.
Old 02-04-2002, 09:01 AM

One of the best mounts that I can think of is one that my father and I share. We both shot fairly young bucks within days of eachother. My dads buck had a broken jaw basket racked 8 point. Mine was a large spike (ten inch spikes each side). We had the deer mounted with my deer's cape and my father's deer's antlers. Some day I will be very proud to hang that deer on my wall. It's not the size that matters…