Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Shoulder-Mount question? I can't decide ito use a wall plaque behind the mount or not?..input please >

Shoulder-Mount question? I can't decide ito use a wall plaque behind the mount or not?..input please

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shoulder-Mount question? I can't decide ito use a wall plaque behind the mount or not?..input please

Old 12-21-2003, 08:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default Shoulder-Mount question? I can't decide ito use a wall plaque behind the mount or not?..input please

I shot the big 9-point that the antlers fell off(few post below). I need some input on the shoulder mount my Taxidermist is doing. I have a few deer on my wall now. "First buck taken with a bow" its a shoulder-mount with plaque. I also have a 3-D shoulder-mount of a 10-pointer I took with a bow, no plaque.
I want to show off the body size of this big 9-pointer so I decided on a full shoulder mount. Does a plaque behind the mount help or hurt the visual effect?
Are plaques even used that much any more?
Thanks for the input.
Old 12-21-2003, 09:55 PM

Default RE: Shoulder-Mount question? I can't decide ito use a wall plaque behind the mount or not?..input please

With deer a plaque always looks better. When you start getting into the bigger animals like elk and moose they don't look as well with a plaque. A deer should always be plaqued.
Old 12-22-2003, 01:31 AM
jjt

Default RE: Shoulder-Mount question? I can't decide ito use a wall plaque behind the mount or not?..input please

I goto disagree with bolt man on this one
i do agree with the idea just not the breaking point
i think anything under 100 lbs. plaque it over that weight no plaque
antelope are smaller than whitetail and look better(IMO) without as do big whitetail(IMO)

I am also a big fan of the pedestal mounts for the larger animals. they are a bit more exp. but they sure look nice when done
Old 12-22-2003, 07:21 AM

no plaque and ask your taxidermist about a wall pedistol, i have two and love them
Old 12-22-2003, 07:31 AM
Fork Horn

imp-they look much betteer w/o a plaque. my last 3 or 4 mounts have been the wall pedistal mount. they are nice.
Old 12-22-2003, 07:37 AM
Typical Buck

One of my pet peeves....A shoulder mount that comes out of my shop has a panel on it or it doesn't leave. Too many times I see mounts without one that have the hair ruffled the wrong way against the wall. Artistically, I feel it adds to the mount to have that clean line of symmetry against a panel.
Old 12-22-2003, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator

This is a matter of personal taste. I think that a plaque on a full shoulder mount takes away from the mount itself. IMO not me no plaque.
Old 12-22-2003, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

No plaque, They usually look cheezy.
Have the guy mount it without, and if you don't like it have him add one before you leave. If he says he can't do it, then find a different taxadermist.
Old 12-22-2003, 08:41 AM

The first deer I had mounted I got it with a plaque. Later I decided I would rather have the mount W/O plaque, so I just took it off and put just the shoulder mount on the wall.

So if you can't decide get it with the plaque and if you don't like it take it off
Old 12-22-2003, 08:43 AM
Banned

No plaque. I think the plaque just gets in the way of admiring the deer. Mystro, you'll have a good story to go with that one. I still chuckle when I think of it.

Quick Reply: Shoulder-Mount question? I can't decide ito use a wall plaque behind the mount or not?..input please

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.