Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Buck fever?

Old 10-20-2003, 02:30 PM

Default Buck fever?

Hello All.
I missed a nice 6 point the other morning. He came to me around 07:30 quartering towards me. I drew nice and quietly as he stepped behind a big hemlock. When he came out the other side, he turned broadside at 15 yards. The money shot right?...Wrong! I watched in amazement as the arrow sailed 6 inches over his back. He took a couple of small bounds back in the direction he came and stepped out again. Broadside now 30 yds. I gave a soft bleat to stop him and let another Easton fly. Again over his back! Now, befuddled I assume I had bumped my sight on the way in. The buck hung around for a while trying to get down wind but he couldn' t quite figure out what tree was shooting at him.

I thought about it the rest of the morning. I retrieved both of my arrows when I was leaving to shoot them when I got home. From the stand in my yard, both arrows drilled the McKenzie right in the boiler room.

I have to assume that I flinched both times while shooting at the buck? I shot great in the yard the next day too. Has anyone else had this experience?

I' ll give the stand a rest for a week and be back after him on Wednesday.

Good Hunting!
Jack

Old 10-20-2003, 03:23 PM

Default RE: Buck fever?

were you elevated when you shot at the deer? if so, that is probably your problem. Try to practice from your stand if you get a chance. I have had a similar experience with a nice 8 pt, shot right over his back...it really killed me...