Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Trying to get first buck... >

Trying to get first buck...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Trying to get first buck...

Old 10-19-2003, 07:49 PM

Default RE: Trying to get first buck...

I' ve heard that dominant buck smells can sometimes spook smaller bucks (like mine)...? Or is this not a problem? How big should the scrape be? I should just take a stick and mess up the ground next to a tree, right? And where should it be in relation to my stand! Thanks alot, guys. This is really helpful.

-Spike Buck
Old 10-19-2003, 07:56 PM

scrape the ground with a long stick get all leaves back make sure that you have a branch over the scrape ..put it where you can get away with movement in stand.and where you can get a good shot at the buck.remember wind is a key.
and wear rubber boots and a lot of scent killer where no scent is around the scrape.

go deep hunt hard.
Old 10-19-2003, 08:04 PM

Sooo...should I put it upwind of me and get him as he walks towards it, or downwind to get him when he' s sniffing it? And will dominant buck scent spook him? Should I use doe urine? Estrus or non? And if I do this, should I get the decoy, or go without it? Which do you think works better: The decoy with Trail' s End #307, or a mock scrape with {whatever scent you tell me I should use}? And what about calling? Should I used calling for the decoy? the scrape? Thanks!

-Spike Buck
Old 10-19-2003, 08:11 PM

upwind dominant buck should not spook him,but it might i would use regular doe urine wright now. later closer to rut try estrous urine.you can get a deer decoy it will add + bonus to your setup.plus the buck will feel safer to. whatever scent you use it should work in the scrape.makes sure that it is buck urine most of the time every once in a while use doe urine in the scrape.calling helps but if it is not the rut yet use the doe bleat call.or use real soft grunts.

go deep hunt hard.
Old 10-19-2003, 08:14 PM

Should I use my Trail' s End #307 in the dripper? I' m not sure exactly what this qualifies as (buck urine, doe urine, etc...).

-Spike Buck
Old 10-19-2003, 08:17 PM

what does it say on the bottle. i would use buck urine or diominant urine . i have not used 307 scent before.

go deep hunt hard.
Old 10-19-2003, 08:18 PM
Typical Buck

Oooh, I' ve read about that. It sounds really fun. Do I need to get one of those drip bag things? If so, what lure? Where should I put it in relation to my stand? I' m at the edge of a strip of tall red pines separating to fields. These meet a bunch of thick " scrub pines" at my eastern fence line (not really a fence line...it just used to be one). There' s two logging roads coming in at the corner. The deer use these alot. Thanks!

Another suggestion, would be that, If you happen to go in the woods atleast a few miles from your stand and find a scrape, take the dirt off the Top of the scrape, (Make sure you make it scent free, by either putting it in a Ziploc, with something on your hands, or, well, do that, heh, then, if you find a scrape near your stand (Within viewing distance), Make a mock scrap right next to it, and put that dirt all around the mock one. It simulates a REAL deer from your area making a scrape, and will make that buck frequent the scrape more...good luck!!
Old 10-19-2003, 08:34 PM

Thanks for the info. If I find a scrape made by the buck I' m after, can I use that dirt? Or will the buck not be interested, because it' s his own urine? How do you find scrapes, anyway? Thanks!

-Spike Buck
Old 10-19-2003, 08:37 PM

there will be no leaves just bare ground with tracks in it .wet to. it will look like a circle with no leaves .

go deep hunt hard.
Old 10-19-2003, 08:39 PM

Where do you find them? In thick cover, open terrain, or where the two meet? Are there usually alot together, or just one? Thanks!

-Spike Buck

Quick Reply: Trying to get first buck...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.