Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Trying to get first buck... >

Trying to get first buck...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Trying to get first buck...

Old 10-19-2003, 07:21 PM

Default RE: Trying to get first buck...

IN A CASE LIKE YOURS WEAR RUBBER BOOTS AND SPARY SCENT KILLER ALL OVER YOU. AND PUT ON SCENT FREE DEO ON TO.THATS ALL YOU CAN DO.

GO DEEP HUNT HARD.
Old 10-19-2003, 07:22 PM

AND TRY TO GET HIGH AS YOU CAN IN THE TREE.

GO DEEP HUNT HARD.
Old 10-19-2003, 07:24 PM

Yah i would use some kind of doe estrus if he is down wind it should bring him in . Put a lil like on the decoy. If you purchase. And mabey on tyour shoes or sumthin . this should work
Old 10-19-2003, 07:25 PM

Thanks alot! I have a really high treestand (either 15 or 19 feet...not sure which), so I' m hoping that kinda gets my scent up above the deer' s nose. When the buck spooked, do you think he smelled me? I saw him spook a couple times before he went after the doe. He would lift his tail, run ten feet, stop, and start walking again. Do bucks normally do this?

-Spike Buck
Old 10-19-2003, 07:29 PM

If I opt not to get a decoy, should I put the scent upwind or downwind of me? It seems like if it was upwind, the buck would walk past me to smell it, but if it was downwind, it would sorta cover my scent. Is this correct? Thanks!

-Spike Buck
Old 10-19-2003, 07:31 PM

Spike buck,

I have a few pointers that might help on decoying deer. First of all i would put the decoy about 20 - 25 yards upwind of you, 9 times out of 10 the deer coming in will get downwind of your decoy, then this would give you an easy 10 - 15 yard shot. Secondly i would shy away from putting scent directly on the decoy rather spraying some scent around the decoy, or getting some of those 35mm film canisters and putting a cotton ball inside with some scent on it underneath of your decoy. And as bobcat said make sure you spray your hands and decoy down with some scent elimination spray before and after you handle it. Another thing i have found that if you don' t put any scent on your decoy and keep it scent free you can hide the decoy in some bushes around your stand so you don' t have to carry it out there every time. I have always used a buck decoy, but if you are going after a fork horn i would have to agree with bobcat and use a doe, any buck decoy any more has a descent sized rack on it and might do more harm than good on a fork horn. Hope all of this helps, it has worked good for me in the past. Good luck on getting your buck.

Tom

Old 10-19-2003, 07:34 PM

Another question...I' ve read somewhere that if a deer smells your scent once, it' s not nearly as effective after that. Is this true? I ask because something always seems to go wrong when I' m hunting.[:-] So, I' m wondering if the deer will keep coming in to the scent each time I put it out. Thanks!

-Spike Buck
Old 10-19-2003, 07:37 PM

TRY TO MACK A MOCK SCRAPE. YOU CAN lure that big boy at of the woods to come and freshen a scrape.try it.

go deep hunt hard.
Old 10-19-2003, 07:41 PM

Oooh, I' ve read about that. It sounds really fun. Do I need to get one of those drip bag things? If so, what lure? Where should I put it in relation to my stand? I' m at the edge of a strip of tall red pines separating to fields. These meet a bunch of thick " scrub pines" at my eastern fence line (not really a fence line...it just used to be one). There' s two logging roads coming in at the corner. The deer use these alot. Thanks!

Quickly getting addicted,

-Spike Buck
Old 10-19-2003, 07:46 PM

use a dripper bag or buck gland. use dominant buck urine or buck urine i have tryed it severeal times. they used it but no luck with gettin one.

go deep hunt hard.

Quick Reply: Trying to get first buck...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.