Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Dern wind about blew me out of the tree >

Dern wind about blew me out of the tree

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Dern wind about blew me out of the tree

Old 10-16-2003, 08:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default Dern wind about blew me out of the tree

Got up in my new stand today and had too hang on for dear life.Man I was thinking I must be crazy to hunt in this kind of wind, but you will never see anything when you stay home.The tree I was in was huge and normally did not move much (it is a giant pecan tree)But this time it did.
I new I was' nt going to be able to shoot from this moving giant so I set back and thought I would watch the show.But not even the squirrels were moving today.[X(] Did anyone else get skunked too.
Old 10-16-2003, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Dern wind about blew me out of the tree

I went out after work yesterday and hiked to my spot. Ended up thinking better of the situation and never unpacked my stand. I just leaned it up against a tree and sat on it downwind from the trails I was watching. Sure enough about 1/2 hour before dark 3 doe come within 20 yards. I ended up letting them walk. Just too small to harvest this year.

Old 10-16-2003, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Me and my buddy was attaching a chain to secure the stand I built for him the other day and the wind was whistling and blowing every which way. Oh well....didn' t seem to bother me too much. I' ll find out how bad it is Saturday....I can' t wait.
Old 10-17-2003, 06:27 AM

hey man i hear you. I am from down around hugo. It has bean windy hear for two days [:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]
Old 10-17-2003, 06:34 AM

Yeah nothing here either, went to a decent tree, climbed it, wind was blowing bad, and just as i cinced the stand down...............rain.
Climbed back down, and took my treestand back to my truck, then went and sat and moved around and worked on my spot and stalk, managed to stalk within 40 yards or so of a doe and a couple fawns, but other than that, not much action at all.
Old 10-17-2003, 06:53 AM

I recall hunting in a huge wind storm 2 years ago. Maybe winds around 25 MPH with some higher gusts. I was like, " Sure. I' ll hunt. I like to hunt. Can' t shoot anything if I' m stuck at home." Well, to make a long story short, I needed 3 hands. One to hold onto my bow, one to hang onto my hat, one to hand onto the tree. Figuring maybe I could pull the bow back with my teeth! I was out of my stand in 1 hour!
Old 10-17-2003, 06:56 AM

Forgot to mention this. I really like to hunt the day after a windy day, figuring deer didn' t move aorund too much on the windy day and will be more active once the wind settles down. Luckily for me, here in NJ Wednesday was quite windy and Thursday was a little less windy, but still windy. SO, I am hopeful that this afternoon when I sneak away from work things will be more active in the woods.