Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Best Dern Award Winning Chili >

Best Dern Award Winning Chili

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Best Dern Award Winning Chili

Old 10-22-2007, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Best Dern Award Winning Chili

Alrighty Boys and Squirrels,

Must be the season, but I decided to share here what I won't share with my military unit members or others around these parts. For the past three years I have won every chili cookoff I've been in with a recipe I came up with. It's called "Coop's Afterburner Chili". It's pretty darn simple too. Try it and tell me what you think (besides the comments that "it don't have no beans in it!". I've heard enough of those and yet I keep winning.

Here are the ingredients you need:

1 lb ground venison (thus this forum)
1 lb italian sausage
1 lb slab bacon
1 vadalia onion
1 tbs minced garlic
2 tbs liquid smoke
1 jar of "Mad Hatters Hot Salsa" (If you can't get Mad Hatters, use another hot salsa)
2 jars of "Chilis" MediumSalsa
Chili Powder
1/2 tsp cumin

Start off by cutting the bacon into 1" strips and dice the onions
Fry the bacon until almost done and then add the onions and liquid smoke
Fry the bacon & onions until onions until transluscent
Take the onions and bacon out of the grease and add the venison and italian sausage in.
Crumble the sausage and venison while it cooks
When the sausage and venison is browned, add the bacon and onions back in. LEAVE THE BACON GREASE IN THERE!!!
Pour in the three jars of salsa and cook until the mixture is hot.
Add the cumin and then sprinkle the mixture with chili powder until she's got a nice coating over the top (I never measure the chili powder for some stupid reason). i'd guess its about 3 - 4 tbs.
Stir and lower the heat to a simmer.
Let it simmer for a couple of hours and then eat up. Chili will be a little spicy.
For the award winning part, after its simmered for a couple of hours let it cool and put it in the fridge overnight. Reheat the next day and it's PERFECT!

Just for S & G's, if you decide to try this recipe or copy it down, just respond on here so I can see how many are liking the recipe. Thanks.

If you are one of those who have to have beans in their chili, I guess you'd add beans in there at some point. [:'(]

Anyway, give 'er a shot and see whatcha think.

Warning: Those with tender sphincters should only add about 1/4 jar of hot salsa. Void where prohibited by law. Not responsible for gastro-intestinal distress. Those with "pansy tummies" should consult a doctor before trying this recipe. yada yada yada....

I forgot to say its good with just venison in there to, but add some crushed red pepper for additional seasoning if you do it this way. The first chili cookoffsI entered was with just venison and the judges always commented that it tasted too gamey (I don't add pork or beef to my ground venison).
Old 10-22-2007, 01:48 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Best Dern Award Winning Chili

Sounds very good. I'll give it a try. Thanks
Old 10-22-2007, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think you'll like it. Only one's I've found that don't prefer Hormel Chili out of a can over all others. Been wanting to try this recipe with cubed venison roast but haven't yet because everytime I bring it up, the wife and son complain that I shouldn't mess with a good recipe. Got a recipe for smoked venison roast that I'll post when I get my other computer up and running. Bon Appetit!
Old 10-22-2007, 02:02 PM

Yeah. Gonna have to give that one a go......Thanks for sharing....Sounds pretty gosh darn good to me.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll share what I can, that's what this forum is all about right? Be pretty funny if the hunters from this site took over the chili cookoffs all over the place.

Also I enjoy good food and want to be shared with so I share when I can.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks, I'll give it a try.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:26 PM
Typical Buck

How the heck do you people get Vadalia onions all the way up there?
Old 10-22-2007, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

We go into the grocery store and buy them! During the growing season, farmers up here grow them too. We may be Iowa but we even have indoor plumbing up here! lol
Old 10-22-2007, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

That looks good. Oh, and I don't use beans neither. We don't need no stinking beans!!
Old 10-22-2007, 05:07 PM
Spike

Thanks for the recipe, love a good chili. I love hot food so I wont need to change a thing. Im wondering if you hve any good recipes for Dove. I make a stew which is good, but want to change it up. Open to any suggestions!!!!!

Quick Reply: Best Dern Award Winning Chili

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.