Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 tips for better shooting >

tips for better shooting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

tips for better shooting

Old 10-10-2003, 05:52 PM

Default tips for better shooting

I have been shooting my bow and lately i have been all over the target. I don' t know what i am doing wrong. Does anybody have some tips that they picked up that has really helped them. I would appreciate any help
Old 10-10-2003, 06:34 PM

Default RE: tips for better shooting

I started teaching myself how to shoot with both eyes open. It has taken a bit of time but it' s worth it. Now I can see my target much better as well as watch the path of the arrow. The only thing that' s disturbing is when you have both eyes open you will see your sight as double. (make sure your looking at the target not the sight) The correct sight to use it the image on the left. It' s kinda strange feeling at first. Not sure what all the brain work that goes on with this but it works lol. Anyways, use the image of your sight that is on the left. If you use the one on the right you' re arrow will shoot about 2 feet to far left. Once you get the hang of it it makes evening hunt' s much easier.

Oh. Also, focus on holding your left arm as still as possible.

Good luck.
Old 10-10-2003, 07:56 PM

I' d look into your shooting form for " all over the place" shooting. Read about " proper" shooting form and compare how close you come to what is " proper" . Your grip, set point and stance along with how you trigger your release(?) can all have an impact on impact. The thing you need to focus on is consistance of all the above, however you do them. I have found flexing my back during release has improved my game and I shoot with no strap and an open hand.

Just some ideas...Good luck!
Old 10-10-2003, 08:08 PM

I started teaching myself how to shoot with both eyes open. It has taken a bit of time but it' s worth it. Now I can see my target much better as well as watch the path of the arrow. The only thing that' s disturbing is when you have both eyes open you will see your sight as double. (make sure your looking at the target not the sight) The correct sight to use it the image on the left. It' s kinda strange feeling at first. Not sure what all the brain work that goes on with this but it works lol. Anyways, use the image of your sight that is on the left. If you use the one on the right you' re arrow will shoot about 2 feet to far left. Once you get the hang of it it makes evening hunt' s much easier.
not exactly, it depends on which eye is dominant. my right eye is dominant, so if i aim at something with both eyes open i would want the pin and image on the left lined up. im pretty sure that it is opposite if your left eye is dominant. a good way to check which eye is dominant is to get a piece of cardboard or piece of paper or something and make a hole in it, or hold up both hands kinda overlaping each other and make a small hole just enough to see through. find an object in the room and focus on the object with both eyes open, through the hole. as your are looking at the object through the hole, close one eye at a time. if you close your left eye and you can still see the object with your right eye, your right eye is the dominant eye, visa versa.
Old 10-10-2003, 11:31 PM

I have always shot with both eyes open (around 50 years know). The only time I see double is when I look at the pins and not focus on the target. You have to stay tuned into the point you want the arrow to hit.
Old 10-12-2003, 07:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

I like Greavous' advice.

Another thing to do is check the bow' s tune.

Do you shoot carbon arrows? Have you bought new arrows or are you still shooting the same ones you got 5 years ago? You shoot carbon enough and they' ll wear out. Group sizes will go to pot. As hot and heavy as some people try to deny it, that' s a true story. Try some new arrows if it' s been awhile.

I' ve had a few bows in the past 5 years that were very particular about how they wanted to be gripped. One bow wanted two, and only two, fingers wrapped around the front of the handle before it would shoot consistently. Not one or three, but two. Another wanted one finger. I' m not talking about maybe a half inch in group size, I' m talking MAJOR malfunction with arrows all over the target. But if I held those bows the way they wanted to be held, they shot just as good as any bow I ever owned.

I got tired of the bows telling me how to shoot. I got rid of them. Life' s too short to get stuck with a bitchy, nagging bow.
Old 10-12-2003, 11:24 AM

If your bow is shooting perfect bullet holes through paper, then it must be your form. But if your bow is out of whack, you may be able to tighten your groups by getting a proper tune. I' ve found that most pro-shops won' t go to great lengths to get your bow in perfect tune. They usually eye it up close and let the rest up to you. So, if you' re handy with your tools, go to Easton' s web site and download the complete tuning guide and take it one step at a time. It' s not difficult to tune your own bow, but it may take some patience. When you get good at it, you won' t have to rely on anyone else ever again.
Old 10-12-2003, 03:07 PM

All bow man i gotta try that do you have probs hitting what your lookin at through your peep?