Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

shooting tips

Old 07-09-2005, 06:42 PM

Default shooting tips

I've been shooting seriously for about 3 weeks now. I can't hold a decent group if my life depends on it. I've switched bows and that helped alot, but my groups at 20 yardsare about the size of a paper plate. I just can't get consistent tight groups. So, i was wondering if there was any articles on better shooting, etc. My old man used to shoot the same bow and held groups the size of a 50 cent piece, so the bow is not messed up.
Old 07-09-2005, 07:40 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: shooting tips

Slow down and focus , Daniel san . Your attention is somewhere besides your target . I haven't been able to shoot lately due to the beastly heat that we've been having , but I know that when I next aim at that foam deer my first shot will be right in the boiler room because I will have focused on my target until it's all I see before my fingers let go . And even if it doesn't I'll just practice until it does .
Old 07-09-2005, 08:21 PM

I work out shooting at 10, 12, and 15 yards. I shoot 12 arrows at 10, then move out to 12 and shoot 12 more arrows, then 12 more arrows at 15. At 15 yards I can but 3 arrows in the bulllseye, I made the bullseye 2" round. I mostly work on forum, but pick a small spot on my target. I take my time when I shoot and I agree with Kevin1..."slow down and focus "
Old 07-09-2005, 08:52 PM

Are you kiding me that you are conserned that after only three weeks of shooting you are hitting a pie plate at 20 yards, that seems prity good to me. I have been shotting hard since it was 0 degres out and I seldone have groups that good. When I am on, I can put groups3in at 20 to 25, but when I am off I have a hard time hitting my bag.

It sounds like you are on the right track, keep shooting and you will be deadly befor ya know it.Are ya shooting bear bow or do ya have sits.

also not saying that there is anything wrong with the bow, but a bow that is good for your Dad may notbe the bow for yo.
Later
Old 07-09-2005, 09:30 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

You primarily need patience. If you have only been shooting for 3 weeks, then pie-plate groups at 20 yds is pretty doggone good.

In my opinion, you don't need to be shooting at 20 yds yet. You still need to be working on form and consistency, not accuracy. Your shooting muscles are still building up, and you are still establishing your form. Get close, work on consistency. Tight groups come from shooting the exact same way every time. When you can hit the same spot every time (regardless if it's high, low, left, or right) you have your consistency down and it's time to work on accuracy. Start close, work your way back. If you start getting sloppy groups, move closer again.

A few things that will affect your grouping even when your form is good and you are shooting consistently:

Mis-matched arrows--the arrows have to be the same spine, same length, and have the same point weight to fly the same.

Wrong spine arrows--if your arrows aren't matched to your bow, you won't get good flight, and this can affect accuracy.

Nocks too tight--if your nocks are snapping onto the string too tightly, no amount of tuning will get you good arrow flight.

Nock point too high/low--this can also bugger arrow flight.

Torque--if you are torquing the bow and/or string, this will cause problems. A sure give-away to torquing the string is a sore and/or calloused ring finger. If you have this problem, concentrate on pulling more with your first and middle finger. The ring finger should have the least pressure on it. Don't put a white knuckle death grip on the bow--this can also cause you to torque.

Follow-through--exaggerate your follow-through. Hold your bow arm and release arm still at least until the arrow hits the target. Also, continue to concentrate on the spot until the arrow gets there.

Hope this helps.

Chad
Old 07-09-2005, 11:25 PM

I think one of the main points in accuracy for shooting is when you are coming to full draw, nothing moves, not your head, bow arm or your release hand ! Keep as still as you can, never, never, take your eye off your mark, concentrateon that mark until the arrow hits, and make sure you follow thru and keep your bow arm up, make sure you are not dropping your arm, and your release hand should stay against your face after you have released the arrow until it hits its mark, This hashelped me tremendously, and practicetill itcomes natural, Good Luck,
RobinHood36>>>=============<>
Old 07-11-2005, 08:15 AM

See Rick Welch, Volume II