Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Busted! Help!

Old 10-06-2003, 12:26 PM

Default Busted! Help!

First day of archery season. I was set up by a corn feeder opposite a buck staging area under thick cover. I saw three bucks within an hour. The first buck saw me from my stand and casually turned and walked back into the cover. An hour later 2 bucks came out of the cover and eating browse but 50 yards from the stand. They never came any closer. That evening 2 minutes before the corn feeder went off the first deer came from a blind spot from my stand and was headed for the feeder. He caught me by surprise and he noticed movement coming from my stand (me dummy). Needless to say he was gone like a bullet out of a rifle. The next day.....nothing! I had cover scent and took many precautions regarding no smell! My treestand is back into the opposite side of the staging area and back into the trees but apparently too much in the open. What are your suggestions about extra camoflage for the stand and myself? Are there tree stand camo that can be put in front of the stand to hide any movement and possibly to shoot out of without hindering the shot? Any help would be great!

Old 10-06-2003, 12:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Busted! Help!

What kind of stand are you using, how high is it?
Old 10-06-2003, 12:45 PM

15 foot ladder stand.
Old 10-06-2003, 01:10 PM

How far are you from the feeder. I would stay at least 20 yards. I usually attach limbs and sticks to my ladder stand to make it look as natural as possible. I dont know of any shoot through blinds for tree stands. Anything you alter now will proballly catch their attention. The bucks that saw you move will definatly be more wary of that stand from now on. I have seen bucks come out and do a stand check
before they enter an area. The last time this happened i was gun hunting out of ladder stand on a friends land. The buck came out of a creek bottom close to dark and the first thing he did was walk up and look up at top of my stand. Before he turned and walked the creek to whereever. There were sides built on the stand so all he could possibly see were my upper torso. The next evening I took my lockon stand and put it by the creek where the buck had come out the evening before.
Sure enough he did the same thing. He walked up within 40 yards of the stand and was looking up, checking it out when BOOM. I got him. Ladder stands can be very
tricky to hunt out of.
Old 10-06-2003, 01:44 PM

I am 20 yards from the stand. The wind is in my favor. I guess I' ll stay out of that area for a couple of weeks and hunt in my alternate spot.
Old 10-06-2003, 01:52 PM
Fork Horn

One thing that has gotten me busted or so I think. Is UV light in my Camo... Hold your camo under a black light and see if it glows. If it does then that is how you get busted so easily... They make wash that takes the UV out. I am not sure if this is true or not, but that is the only reason I can think of that I was busted. I was wearing a new jacket and I was WELL Hidden in Thick cover 20 feet off the ground and a deer picked me out of the tree, like you would see bright orange. Like I said I dunno if that is the problem or not, but I washed it and have not had any troubles since...
Old 10-06-2003, 02:07 PM

Any help would be great!
1 - stay still

2- move the stand or leave it alone for a good while - it is dead