Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 HAWG UNLIMITED ????? >

HAWG UNLIMITED ?????

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

HAWG UNLIMITED ?????

Old 10-03-2003, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default HAWG UNLIMITED ?????

Does anybody use these synthetic scents and if so are you having any luck with them?
Old 10-03-2003, 07:56 AM

Default RE: HAWG UNLIMITED ?????

Ive used Hawgs Limited. Mostly in drippers. One thing i do like about them is the large amount of liquid you get. I like to douse a licking branch and the ground underneath it and then hang a dripper. with the smaller bottles, Id go broke before the rut started. As far as sucess, I have had mock scrapes get tore up using it. On the other hand, have had mocks that never got touched.
Old 10-03-2003, 09:42 AM

Default RE: HAWG UNLIMITED ?????

Hi Gutshot. I used it last year and this year. Last year I had my buck smell it and follow my drag line trail to a mock scrape I made. He stopped at it and was smelling it when I stuck him, so I give Hawg' s the credit for bagging him.

This year I have a dripper out with the pre-rut in it and it got some action, but not a lot. I have watched does pass right by it and a couple of other scrapes I' ve made without giving it a second thought, much less a sniff. I have seen only two bucks so far this year, a spike and four point. Both re-acted to the scent, I believe, in different ways, I think. This is what happened. The spike came upon the scent trail I left around my treestand and began sniffing furiously. He sniffed around and came on the mock scrape I made, acting nervous the whole time. When he sniffed the scrape, which I put the pre/post rut scent in, he sniffed loudly, not a snort really, and trotted off the way he came. He may have seen me, or smelled me or didn' t like the smell of the mock scrape or was afraid of a larger buck being around. I don' t know. My dragline was using the BF Gland scent.

On the same hunt I watched a four point (a 2x2) intercept my drag line, with the BF Gland spray, and follow it away from my stand. He walked it slowly with his head down and sniffing all the way, not acting spooked at all.

Don' t know how this can help, but that' s what happened. I think it works but I' m beginning to lean towards several people' s view here of going in as scent free as possible, using no attractant or cover up scents at all.

TR Michel cites a study that showed that after prolonged use in an area, an attractant scent begins to lose it' s effectiveness, as the deer become use to it. It was a scientific study and is sound logically as well. It also flies in the face of Hawg' s assertion that you should start using their stuff as early as July or August. Marketing? Just my 2 cents.